Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Multiple bulb ceiling fixture keeps making a popping sound

Multiple bulb ceiling fixture keeps making a popping sound and then blows the circuit. It intially blew out 2 light bulbs...I took out all the light bulbs and turn the switch on w/o bulbs and it again made a pop sound and blew the circuit. I tested the ground and tried again..and it poped again. The other lights and outlets work after I reset the circuit...which leads me to believe the problem has to be isolated to the kitchen ceiling fixture....Do I need to get a new ceiling fixture? ...what may be causing the problem?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
In your case what is most likely causing the problem is faulty wiring in the box that your ceiling light attaches to. What you need to do is take down this fixture and physically inspect the wiring inside the box. Make sure you dont have any broken, burnt or dead shorted wiring in the box. If you do just fix it by cutting the broken or burnt piece away and replacing it with a new piece, or just connect the fixture wiring to the shorter piece.

Is what im saying making sense?