electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

i have a 240 water heater element I get a 12.5 ohms reading

i have a 240 water heater element I get a 12.5 ohms reading by touching both screw terminals. which should read ok? i hook up the wires and fill the tank touch the wires with a volt meter show no voltage ? touch the black probe to a ground and the red probe of the volt meter to the screw terminals and read 120 volts at each screw shouldnt i be able to get a 240 reading by touching both terminals with the volt meter?
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Is this a 1 element or 2 element water heater?
Only one side of the 240 volts is switched by the controls so you will always show 120 volts to ground, which tells you almost nothing.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2 elements

it tells me that im getting electricy to the elements

Is the water heater cold or hot?
Are you checking the top or bottom element?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the water heater is cold

ive checked both get the same reading on both

When the water heater is cold power will ONLY go to the top element. It should read 240 volts across the terminals. When the heater gets to temp at the top thermostat the power is transfered to the lower control for the lower element.
After checking to verify 240 volts to the upper control input turn up the temp to high to see if it will turn on. If you can't get power to the element the control is bad. If you do get power to the element then be patient and let the heater come to temp but turn down the control to where it was before. When you pass the water temp you will hear the control click turing on or off depending on if you're turning it up or down. After the upper control temp is satisfied power, 240 volts, will go to the lower control and not until.
Just remember only one element heats at the same time. If the upper control is bad, if the upper element is bad, you will never get the heater to work at all. Start at the top and work downward. If there is anything here not prefectly clear please ask for more information. If you test and give me results I will help you thru the process.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal

Did you find the upper control to be bad or do you need more help to determine this?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal