Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

Why does my breaker keep tripping that runs my chest freezer

Why does my breaker keep tripping that runs my chest freezer in the garage and my refrigerator in the kitchen?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
You are corresponding with Electric Doctor! A graphicExpert!!

It could be the breaker is going bad. Does it happen all the time, only when certian appliances are plugged in? Is there any pattern to when this occurs?

Again, thank you for asking your question on graphic

Joseph - aka Electric Doctor: ((CLICK HERE)) To view my profile

• Please press the graphic button if my answer has solved your problem
  • Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
  • Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing has been changed about what is plugged in and being used. I replaced the breaker with a brand new one and it still kicks off.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Ok then what your going to need to do is unplug everything on that circuit and see if it still trips. If it does not, then plug each appliance in one at a time until it does happen. Then it will most likely be an appliance issue. However - there is also the possibility that you have the circuit overloaded. In that case you will need to run a new circuit to the chest freezer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have everything that I know of on that circuit unplugged and the breaker still keeps tripping. How would I know if one of the 2 appliances would be going bad and needs replaced? The fridge is 18 years old and the freezer is about 25 years old.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

That means you have a dead short in the line. What you need to do now is open up all of the outlets on that circuit and look for any burnt wiring. Any wiring that could be touching such as a grounding wire against the gold terminal on the outlet etc.

Yes this will be somewhat time consuming unless murphy is not looking over your shoulder. But this is the next step in this process. From what you describe - this does not sound like an appliance problem now.

Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor