electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

I need to do a service up grade in a multi family home. 1

Customer Question

I need to do a service up grade in a multi family home.
1 service drop to a 3 socket meter pan.
From the meter, 3 ser cable's to 3 panel's . 100 amp apartment 1, 100 amp apartment 2, and a 60 amp panel for the basement.(min load on 60 amp panel, just used fo common lighting)
I found a meter gang socket rated at 200 amp with 3 meter position each position rated at 100 amp. what size drop from the service head to the meter socket do I need?
The meter pan is rated at 200amp but I will have a 100amp, 100amp and 60amp panel in the home.

Rich
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Where are you located?
These 3 service disconnects need to be grouped together. Is that what you are planning?
Does your power company furnish your meter sockets for you? Some do.
Do you have a calculated load for your building?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

all 3 panels are in the basement side by side.

I will have to buy the meter socket and that are approved by the power company.(MILBANK)

I do not have the calculated load, because the building is being fed with # XXXXX wire now.

It's a very small place.Each apartment is 10 by 30 , 2 floors each and all gas appliances and no air. by code the smallest service for each apt will be 100amp.

The 60 amp panel will be for some general outlet and basement light.(2 100w bulbs)

Where are you located? What code is enforced where you live? Have you talked to your inspector about this? The power company can feed whatever it wants, they are on a totally different set of rules than electricians are on.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

new jersey

2008

no I did not yet to a inspector

I knpw the rules are different between us and power companys, 200 amp total for this place is way more then they will ever use. I'm tring to keep cost down for the little old lady

how do I split this 200 amp service 3 way?

Are you an electrical contractor?
Is the little old lady the owner of the property?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

yes

Now I have the picture.
SER cable is 4 wire, you only need 3 wire. SEU would be appropriate if you wanted to use aluminum.
220.84 gives load information on multi-family dwellings. The table only applies to 3 units but one of your services is a house service. 220.83 will also apply to your calculation and covers how to deal with existing units.
Using 200 amp wire, 3/0 copper or 250 aluminum will give you good conductor sizing in your mast. They are both rated at 200 amps and like you say the load is minimal. If you were to actually calculate the load of the existing services you might be surprised how little is really is. Building it like this always gives the option for adding something electrical in the future. Cutting it to the bone means a burned out gas water heater could not be replaced by electric or central air could not be added. You don't want to do that to the owner.
Your service entrance conductors would be #2 aluminum or #4 copper for the 100 amp services and #4 aluminum or #6 copper for the 60 amp. This would give you full capacity for the services and not restrict the property to no improvements electrically.
Have I covered what you need to know? Let me know if you need anything more. I'm going to dinner now but I'll be back later.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess my question is, the meter socket kit is rated at 200 amp total and each meter socket is rated at 100 amp. By putting 3 panels in the basement side by side,

100amp,100amp and a 60 amp that total adds up to 260amps. they will never use it but 260amps is more then the meter socket kit ir rated for. how can that be ok. there is no main breaker, this falls under the 6 throw rule.

Read thru the load calculations in 220 and see where you get to reduce for multiple electrical devices of the same type. Ranges, A/C or electric heat, water heaters all fall into that category. You might not even have a true 100 amp load for the whole building as it sits now. Look at Annex D(4) in the back of the code book. It explains a multi family dwelling calculation and how you reduce the load as you add more units together. It's not just the sum of the units, the table 220.84 shows 45% for 3 units to 5 units. 300 amps X 45% would be for 3 100 amp apartments. Diversity forgives us a lot when calculating load for services and feeders.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help.

That's what we're here for. Thanks for using Just Answer.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the help, you cleared things up for me

Good deal.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal