Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

Recently lost power in one room (two outlets & light switch)

Customer Question

Recently lost power in one room (two outlets & light switch) on the first floor on my house. Have checked fuse box and have not blown fuse . . . any suggestions ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
You are corresponding with Electric Doctor! A graphic Expert!!

Do you have access to a volt meter or some sort of tester?

Again, thank you for asking your question on graphic

Joseph - aka Electric Doctor: ((CLICK HERE)) To view my profile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I do not . . .

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

Ok - this is the procedure to follow when trouble shooting a circuit, however you will probably need to get a volt meter in order to properly troubleshoot this:

1 – Go around to see if you have any GFCI’s on the circuit that may have tripped. Locate all the gfci’s you have in the home and push the re-set button to be sure it did not trip. If one has tripped, pushing the reset button will restore power. If this does not help – move onto step 2.

graphic

graphic
View Full Image

2 – Go back to your panel and double check to be sure it did not trip. Allot of todays breakers don’t show when they have tripped. However you can tell this by physically pushing on each breaker handle to see if there is any “play” in the handle. If there is – that’s your tripped breaker. In order to re-set it, turn it all the way off – then back on again in order to restore power. If this does not help – move onto step 3.

3 – If you know which breaker feeds the circuit, swap it out for another on to see if it helps. Periodically breakers will go bad. Replacing it will fix this problem. If this does not help – move onto step 4.

4 – While your in the panel, double check all your connections associated with the dead circuit to be sure none of the wiring came loose or broke. If this does not help – move onto step 5.

5 – Go around to all of your affected circuits using the tester to locate any good outlets on the circuit vs bad ones. The reason you want to do this is because allot of outlet terminals will corrode over time and cause you to loose connectivity - just like your experiencing now. And if your outlets are utilizing the "push-ins" Such as the one pictured below - you will definately want to change it.

Please see pictoral diagram of and example of this testing method:

graphic
View Full Image

6 – Once you locate a bad outlet next to a good one, you will need to open up both outlets and re-do the wiring like I show here. This method is called “pigtailing” and will help to prevent occurances like this from happening again:

graphic
View Full Image
graphic
View Full Image

7 – When you do reconnect your devices (outlets and switches ) do not utilize the push ins on the back sides of the devices. Rather use the terminal screw on the side. See pics for examples of this:

Do not use this method:

graphic
View Full Image

Use this method:

graphic
View Full Image

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, none of the suggestions provided a short term solution. I will have to look into this issue further.
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

Ok at this point then you will need to get a digital meter in order to trouble shoot this. If you choose to get one, then I can help you trouble shoot this further. If not you may have to call an electrician to find and fix this for you.

Let me know which direction you want to go in.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate the advise, which was essentially what I had already done regarding the fusebox and reseting the GFCI outlets . . . to no avail. In lieu of having a volt meter and the time to explore every option, I am forced to contact someone locally to resolve this.