Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I have replaced my pool pump timer with a new intermatic timer

I have replaced my pool pump timer with a new intermatic timer (T104M) I wrote down the wire locations but missed a black wire I believe coming from the main pump. I connected them to what I believed to be the correct positions but when I turned the circut on the main pump runs in both the on and off positions. I got a wireing diagram of the web for TightWat with a booster pump and every thing is connected as showh. Which wire is out of position and where should it go? Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
You are corresponding with Electric Doctor! A graphic Expert!!

Do you know which wires come from the panel and which go out to the pump?

Again, thank you for asking your question on graphic

Joseph - aka Electric Doctor: ((CLICK HERE)) To view my profile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Starting at the main pump timer.

connection lug #1 has one wire from the circuit Breaker and one jumper wire that goes back to the back of the timer.and a jwire called out as left jumper to booster pump timer

Lug #2 one wire from the main pump and a jumper wire over to the timer for the Booster pump on its #1 lug.

lug #3 has one wire from circuit breaker and a second jumper wire to the back of the timer. also has a jumper to the booster pump timer called out as right jumper

Lug #4 one wire from the main pump and jumper wire to Booster pump timer to lug # XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wires from the circuit breaker are going to lugs 1 & 3. Wires from the pump are going to lugs 2 & 4.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Does your wiring look like this? Your booster pump needs to be on the same lugs as the pump motor... not all 4 lugs. That is why they stay on no matter the position of the switch:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This still does not work correctly. It is hooked up the way the diagrams say but the main pump stays on when the off switch is in the off position.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Ok remove the booster from the timer and only keep the pump hooked up. Then let me know if it will turn on and off with the switch. Remember main power from the breaker to lugs 1 and 3 then pump to lugs 2 and 4.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the booster pump and the main pump still ran when in the off position. I went to turn it off and it went off and then came right back on. I wiggled the manual on off lever and the pump goes on and off by just pulling out on the lever slightly. BotXXXXX XXXXXne I got a bad Timer from the supply store.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

One last thing..... Look at where the wiring is located from the clock... make sure those wires are connected to 1 and 3. They will be the white wires going to be back of the clock.

Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Took the timer back and got a different one. I hooked it up the way the diagram stated and every thing works.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Ok good deal - if you ever need further assistance please dont hesitate to ask. Good Luck and have a great night.