electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

How do I wire a ceiling fan so that only the light comes on at the wall switch

Customer Question

The box has a green wire(ground I know) 1 white wire, a red wire and an orange wire.    The fan has a green wire, a white wire, a black wire and a black wire with a white stripe. I know I wire the green to green, white to white, but which black wire to the red and which black wire to the orange to make it so the wall switch only turns on the light?
The original installation had it so the fan was controlled by the pull chain and the light by the wall switch. This is what I want to do on the new fan.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Do you have 2 switches on the wall to control the red wire and the orange wire?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No just a single switch that turns the light on.

Do you know which wire, red or orange, is the switched wire?
Is the other wire hot all of the time?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just want to know what the red wire and orange wire are. I don't remember ever seeing an orange wire. All I'm trying to do is have the light of the ceiling fan turn on when I flip the wall switch.

Connect the black wire with a white stripe to the switched wire in the ceiling box. That will make the wall switch control the light.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need to know what is the switched wire.

That is why I asked you the question before. Turn off the switch and I bet one of the wires is no longer hot. Turn it back on and it's hot again. Chances are the other wire is hot all the time. That would connect to the solid black wire from the fan. How was the previous fan wired? Which wire connected to the black wire and which one connected to the blue or black/white wire? Did you make note of this before you disconnected the fan?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok the red and orange are connected to the switch on the wall. So we'll connect the blace and white striped wire to both those. Is this correct?

NO. That will remove the switch from the circuit. Connect one of them to the black and white wire then test the switch to see if the light is switched or if it is on all the time. Only take one step at a time here. One of these wires will light the light with the switch turned off. You want to connect to the other wire so the switch controls the light only.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

Thank you for the accept but we aren't finished yet.
When you find the switched wire and connect it to the black/white wire the light is wired. The hot wire connects to the black fan wire and the fan will start at once. Your arms and maybe head will be thru the blades. If you just touch the wires momentarily to see if the fan is turned on by the switches you can get the pull chain to the off position. The other way and even better way is to turn off the breaker for this circuit, then wire the fan, and then turn it back on. This is the safest way to do this.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I have it now. Thanks

If you have any other issues with this please feel free to ask. I'll be in and out the rest of the day but I will get back to you when I'm on.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok

Good luck with it all.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal