Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician

My hot tub wont turn on. We thought it was the fuse but it

Customer Question

My hot tub won't turn on. We thought it was the fuse but it isn't. For some reason the breaker keeps tripping. Not the main breaker, but the breaker hooked to the main breaker panel specifically for the hot tub.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Glenn - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Hello
Is this a gfci breaker ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a 50 amp breaker that is hooked between the hot tub and main breaker panel outside. Should I go check to see if this is gfci breaker? Where would it tell me?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Yes please do it will have a test button on it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does have a yellow test button on it.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok good job now what we need to do is shut the main breaker off

On the gfi breaker disconnect the wires going to the tub

Turn the main breaker on and see if the gfci trips

What we are doing here is testing the breaker itself

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We just tried it and the breaker didn't trip that time so it must not be what it is. It must be something with the hot tub???
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok Hook it back up and turn the tub on without the heat and tell me if it trips or not

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by "without the heat"?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Another words can you turn the heat off to the tub ?

Most of the time a gfci will trip to a tu it's heater related i'm trying to find out if this is the case

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We don't know how to do that. We bought the tub and it hasn't turned on yet. The guy we bought it from says that the panel on the tub should turn on once it is hard wired. It doesn't turn on when we flip both breakers and the gfci breaker keeps shorting.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok can you open up the conrol panel and look for 2 wires going to the heater ?

We have to try disconnecting the heat to see if it's in the eater or not

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unplugged the heater and it still tripped.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok is this breaker part of the tub ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. There are wires coming from the tub hook to a little breaker box on the side of my house. Then wires are coming out of the little breaker box and going into the main panel.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok how many wires are coming out of the little breaker box and going to the tub ?

How many wires are coming from the house going to the little breaker box ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure how to check the main breaker to in between house and tub breaker, but there are 4 wires going from little breaker into tub, should i go check the main breaker to small breaker>
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Inside the little breaker box you should see the wires coming from the house going into the box

Also tell me on the wires going to the tub how are they hooked to the breaker what color goes where ?

I know this is tedious but this is the nly means of troubleshooting without being there

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so it comes from the big breaker, looks to hook in on the top of two 50 wat black swithces hooked togehter. the colors coming in are white red and black. the white however hooks into something different on the right side of the black junction box inside the breaker. it goes around the bacnk and hooks into the back behind the black. so there is two wires coming out of the bottom and a white wire hooked in behind the black, and into the hot tub goes white black red and a ground wire
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok Good is there a bare ground coming from the houe along with the black red and white ?

Where is the ground wire going to the tub hooked to in the box ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the ground wire is in the strand of wires. and it is properly connected to the ground wire port of the hot tub
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

No you said coming into the box was a red black and white is there also a ground ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes into the box there is three wires, the ground is screwed into the back side of the panel, next to it there is another ground wire coming out of it to the tub whicih the two are not connected. does that answer your question?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok 2 things i've been told by another expert that the ground going to the tub needs to be insulated is it ?

Can you put both grounds under the same screw just to be shure there is a good connection ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so instead of having the wire hooked to the screw and the other ground coming out of the other screw just hook them together under the same screw?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is starting to get dark outside. Is there a way we can continue this with you tomorrow night? I have never used this site before so I don't really know all the rules and the way it should work...
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Sure just log back on and go to my questions then we can continue i'll be here after 4 est

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Well I will be home from work at 5 est. Will log on then. Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome