InspectorL
InspectorL, Electrical Inspector
Experience:  ICC Certified - Residential & Commercial Electrical Inspector; Licensed Electrical Contractor
15841946

how do you ground a gas line

Customer Question

how do you ground a gas line?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Is your building department requiring you to ground the gas line? Is it in a home?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I'm selling my home and it's a new requirement the inspector notified me of.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Did he give you any guidelines? We never ground gas lines in my local area.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Nebraska and i't a new requirement on all homes being sold and, new home construction.
Expert:  InspectorL replied 5 years ago.

Suzie Q;

The NEC prohibits using the Gas Line as Grounding Electrode or Grounding Conductor.

This Inspector needs to take the IAEI's Soares Grounding Seminar; where he will learn the difference between Bonding and Grounding.

Expert:  Paul replied 5 years ago.

The 2008 NEC does require bonding of the metal gas piping.

This can be accomplished by installing a #6 copper ground wire from your electric panel to the gas pipe. Install a ground clamp on the gas line and connect the ground wire to it.

If you have any questions please post back here.

The NEC is not retroactive; and cannot be enforced in that fashion. According to Code Making Panel 5, the Bonding of the gas line is accomplished by the use of an approved Equipment Gronding Conductor at the on/off switch at the furnace.

If the Inspector insists on having a Bonding Jumper installed, it is sized using Table 250.122, and would be based on the size of the Over Current Protection for the furnace. It is cheaper to install this Jumper than it is to argue with (or educate) the Inspector.

Gary