Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

The remote for my Hamilton Bay ceiling fan no longer works.

Customer Question

The remote for my Hamilton Bay ceiling fan no longer works. We purchased a universal remote which has to be installed.   The problem is the wires on the fan are different colors than what is on the replacement remote.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Arlene,

We will need some more information.

Can you provide the Hamilton Bay Fan model/part number?

Can you provide the universal remote information?

Need Manufacturer and Model/Part #.

Can you provide the wire colors on the Fan and Remote?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I have no idea what model the ceiling fan is. The universal remote is Westinghouse #77870.

The wire colors on the fan are black, white. Then red, white, grey, blue, red, pink.

The remote colors are black, white. Then blue, red and white.

Arlene

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Correction, The wire colors are on the fan are black, white. Red, grey, pink, yellow. No blue.

Arlene

5 wires from the remote

6 wires from the remote, two blacks.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Arlene,

I am going to let another technician help you.

Nothing personal, I just do not have all the information I would need to ensure the fan is installed correctly.

Sorry,

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal on-line "Electrical Consultant"

Can you tell me what color wires are coming from the fan and what colors are on the remote?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!

Please respond ASAP to this Information Request

This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

A

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:

- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding

- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan

- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dan,

The fan is installed correctly (professionally). Since the remote went out, and it isn't the battery, we bought the universal remote. I am wondering if my husband thought the remote was in the fan in the wrong place. He took it apart above the lights and below the blades. The universal remote says it is in the upper part of the fan, near the ceiling.

Arlene

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

Fan--black, white. Pink, red, white, yellow, grey and another black. 8 wires

Remote--black, white. Red, blue, white. 5 wires.

Outside of the obvious, which ones go with what?

Arlene

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

Ok - that is not where im referring to... the universal remote goes up in the upper housing where the bracket connects to the ceiling box. It does not go where the light kit is located. Now typically these wire in that upper housing are blue black white and ground. I need for you to confirm this information - then tell me what color wires are on the new universal remote.

A

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

The new universal remote wire colors--balck, white. Red, white and blue. I think he is in the light kit.

Arlene

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

No you dont install these in the light kit..... that is where your getting messed up. Can you tell me the colors of the wires coming out of the top of the fan... Where the wires connect to the ceiling..

graphic

A

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

My husband insists that the light kit is where the remote connection is. He hasn't taken that part off the ceiling fan yet.

Arlene

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

Are there only 5 wires in the remote location and maybe 8 in the ceiling kit?

Arlene

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

Did this fan have a remote before? Did this Hampton Bay fan come factory with one initially installed?

A

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

Yes, the ceiling fan came with a factory remote when it was initially installed.

Arlene

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.

Ok there is the reason your having so much trouble with the universal remote. You cannot use a universal for this kind of fan. You will need to order a new receiver and install it.

You can go to this website:
http://www.eceilingfans.com/hampton_bay_ceiling_fans.html
You can order just about anything from them in regards XXXXX XXXXX Bay fans.

Last resource is to call the company direct and order it from them: 1-(NNN) NNN-NNNNspan style="font-size: 10pt">

When you receive an ANSWER, that does not mean the question is over.

Its just a form of communication in terms of how graphic is setup and operates.

A

If you need further help, clarification or information please:

- Continue to respond to this post

- Ask as many follow up questions you need until you are satisfied

- 100% Customer Satisfaction is my Goal!

- Please remember to leave FEEDBACK if my answers have been helpful