electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

I have an exterior outlet that got water in it. (the screw

Customer Question

I have an exterior outlet that got water in it. (the screw heads are rusted) I pulled the outlet off and put a meter on the white and the hot. there is no power, I checked the breaker panel nothing is tripped, when I stripped back the white wire a little I noticed a black discoloration, how can I determine how much of the wire is bad and what can I do to fix it. I also looked for GFCI's near by that my be tripped (been there done that) :)   thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

How did you test for power?
Did you use a meter?
Did you test hot to ground as well as hot to neutral?
Can you test neutral to ground with an ohm meter to see if that is connected?
How old is the house?
Are there ground fault receptacles anywhere in the house or basement?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Test for power. - used a small pocket type 3 light tester looks for 110, 240, 600 and I checked at the wires not the plug

I did not use a volt meter

I only tested hot to neutral

I do have a volt meter and I can check neutral to ground (not done yet)

house is less than 10 years old. Slab

there are GFCI's in bathrooms and kitchen near water. the one in question out back is not.

You need to use a volt-ohm meter and check both black to white, already done, and black to ground. Then with the meter on ohms test white to ground for continuity.
A house 10 years old will have a GFCI receptacle someplace protecting the outside receptacle. This would have been built under the 1996 or 1993 NEC and both required outside receptacles to be GFCI protected. It could be protected by a bathroom receptacle possibly or it could be protected by a GFCI someplace else but probably not the kitchen. Check the bathroom that does not have things plugged in for a tripped GFCI or check in a crawl space to see if there is one there. I'm sure it is a tripped GFCI someplace. Is there another outside receptacle somewhere on the house that might be a GFCI receptacle?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal