Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

I have a True life generator (12000 wt) and with no load it

I have a True life generator (12000 wt) and with no load it puts out right around 126 volts on each leg but when a load is applied it puts out 64 volts on one leg and 248 volts on the other. What would cause this and how hard is it to fix?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal on-line "Electrical Consultant"

Can you tell me how and where your checking the voltage? Are you testing it at the panel or physically on the generator itself?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!

Please respond ASAP to this Information Request

This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

A

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:

- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding

- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan

- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both at the panel and at the generator, the readings are about the same
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Have you taken any readings from the wires that come directly off of the generator head?

A

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I have not just the 250 volt plug at the generator and the two wires in the panel where the generator hooks to the breaker
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

You need to open up the generator panel and take readings where the wires enter the panel, but before they terminate to the fuses or breakers. From the readings your taking, it tells me you have a loose or broken neutral. Now if you keep getting all the same readings from the wires that come out from the generator head - then you will need to replace the unit. (the generator head) But if your neutral is only loose or broken in the generator panel you can easily fix that. But you need to take the readings to confirm.

When you receive an ANSWER, that does not mean the question is over.

Its just a form of communication in terms of how graphic is setup and operates.

A

If you need further help, clarification or information please:

- Continue to respond to this post

- Ask as many follow up questions you need until you are satisfied

- 100% Customer Satisfaction is my Goal!

- Please remember to leave FEEDBACK if my answers have been helpful

Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor