electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

convert hardwired ceiling lamp to plug-in

Hi, I need help converting a hardwired ceiling lamp to a plug-in ceiling lamp. I have images and more details at this link: http://danceuponnothing.com/lamp/lamp.html
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Where are you located?
What is the voltage of this lamp?
Have you had it installed previously where it was hardwired to a support box?
How do you plan to support it on the ceiling?
Will you be installing a switch in the line that feeds the lamp?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
  • I'm located in the US (Brooklyn, NY).
  • The voltage I don't know for sure, it's not an industrial lamp so does that make it 120v standard? Here's the lamp.
  • It was not previously installed.
  • It is really light with a rice paper shade, so I'll probably just use small toggle bolts to secure to the ceiling.
  • A switch along the cord would be nice, I had just planned on plugging it in and out. I plan on adding the cord to the lamp's base and routing it across the ceiling and down the wall to the outlet.
Thanks

Thank you.
Lamp cord can be purchased at the home improvement warehouses It would be easier to purchase an extension cord long enough for your purpose and cut off the female end leaving you with a cord and plug for your lamp. This cord is smooth on one side and ribbed on the other. The ribbed side is the neutral conductor, the white wire. The green/yellow wire is the ground but with a 2 wire cord there is no ground present.
Now for the wiring, does a sheet come with the light telling of the wiring? If I had to guess I would try the ribbed wire to the white marked wire B and the smooth wire to either A or C. I would guess that one of the wires would turn on 1 bulb and the other would turn on 2 bulbs. If all 3 light but do so dimmly then we don't have the correct wire connected to the ribbed wire. If a sheet came with the lamp showing wiring then that information will tell us just what we need.
In the lamp section of the store there are replacement parts available and you may find a pinch connector to connect the cord to the lamp.
Home Depot or Lowe's are good choices to find these parts. They have a good selection of lamp parts available. If you find parts and need to ask more please feel free to come back here and ask me. I'm happy to help you thru your project.
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Electrifier, Ikea's instructions are wordless intended to help all countries with one instruction book. Unfortunately they fall way short on explaining the wiring to me. Here it is if it helps though, link. So, it being a two wire with no ground necessary do I just remove the lamps little ground wire? I like the extension cord idea. Do you think because it is a 3 bulb the two white striped wires (B&C) get combined to the cord's ribbed wire and the black striped wire (A) to the cord's smooth side?

IKEA's instructions are pathetic and don't show a thing that makes sense to a professional. What type of store did you purchase this light fixture from?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I purchased it from an IKEA here in Brooklyn. I agree with your assessment of their instructions too. Does my prior question seem like a route to try - Do you think because it is a 3 bulb the two white striped wires (B&C) get combined to the cord's ribbed wire and the black striped wire (A) to the cord's smooth side?

I would hope the store where you purchased it would know about their product. Using an ohm meter you can determine the wiring. Touch one probe to the shell where the bulb screws in and the other probe to each of the wires. The one that goes to 0 or near 0 would be the neutral. If more than one checks out then there is more than one neutral, which I doubt. The center tab would be connected to a smooth wire on the cord. Check all 3 sockets and wires, I suspect 1 is neutral and the other 2 are 1 and 2 bulb center tabs. My guess would be 2 wires to power and one is neutral.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your help Bob. Here it is. Wife loves it!Laughing