electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

My Hunter ceiling fans light has stopped working. It blew

My Hunter ceiling fan's light has stopped working. It blew a bulb and all 4 lights went out. Upon checking only 1 bulb was blown but now the light will not work. The fan still works with the remote. I have tried changing out the light pullswitch and this is not the problem - also I replaced one socket that seemed slightly loose. I do not have a model number for the fan, but the transmitter is model 84592 and the receiver is 85068.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.
Hello Lau,
Is the remote an aftermarket type of did it come with the fan?
Is the remote in the wall or hand held?
Thank you for your additional information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The remote came with the fan. It is handheld, although it can be snapped over the wall switch ( I think to prevent you from using the switch. I don't usually use the remote and did turn the light on at the switch - I rarely use the fan. I am not familiar with this unit but my friend said the remote had been acting funny.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

How old is the fan?
Where did you buy it?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was purchased at Sam's - probably 4-5 years ago.

The remote receiver is your problem. Power feeds into the receiver and output wires control the fan speeds and the dimming of the lights. The blue wire of the fan is the light circuit.
Check with Sam's there may be a warranty on this remote. Home Depot, Lowe's and Menard's all sell fan remote controls. You may be able to get a receiver and use your transmitter with the new receiver. There are 2 wires for input and 3 wires for output on the receiver. Remove the bezel that covers the fan mounting bracket and the receiver is above the bracket. It will slide out and disconnect the wiring. Install the new remote. Of course make sure the switch is turned off on the wall before installing the new receiver. There are 4 dip switches on the remote and receiver. They must be set the same for it to work. Replacement is quite simple.
If you have any more questions or concerns please come back here to ask. I am here to assure your successful project.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

O.K. thanks. I think I'll just order a receiver as my HD/Lowes doesn't seem to carry any Hunter parts and the replacement remotes I've seen don't contain receivers. I believe I have the right part before me - it is round and came from above the fan motor housing and beneath the ceiling bracket. (Women are more visual...lol) Thanks for the help.

Laura

Does this have 2 wires on one side and 3 on the other? A set of 4 dip switches?
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes..you threw me for a minute because there are 4 wires on the bottom (what would face the floor) but one is sealed off and the others are marked common, light, fan. Also,

Two on top and 4 dip switches. BTW, are these switches "set" by removing the plastic cover - on mine 3 are surrounded by plastic and 1 is not.

http://www.eceilingfans.com/ceiling_fan_remote_controls.html

If you call the number on this page, 979-553-3260, and give them the number off the receiver they should be able to take care of you. They have a huge variety of parts.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise