Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician

TO WIRE A 230 VOLT AIR COMPRESSOR IN A HOME GARAGE,IS 10/2

Customer Question

TO WIRE A 230 VOLT AIR COMPRESSOR IN A HOME GARAGE,IS 10/2 WIRE AN OK CHOICE. AND IF SO WHAT SIZE CIRCUIT BREAKER SHOULD BE USED.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

How many amps does the compressor draw ?

How far away is the garage from the panel ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE DISTANCE IS ROUGHLY 50 FEET. BUT I AM NOT SURE OF THE AMPS, THE AIR COMPRESSOR WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW. I WAS TOLD BY HOME DEPOT THAT 10/2 WIRE WOULD BE FINE
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Glenn - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Ok if that's the case you can run 10/2 with ground on a 2 pole 30 amp breaker

If the compressor is hard wired and dosen't have a means of a disconnect you can install a small knife type disconnect or even a dryer cord with an outlet

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES THE COMPRESSOR WILL BE HARDWIRED, IT HAS AN AUTO PRESSURE SHUT OFF FOR THE MOTOR.SO IF A 30 AMP BREAKER IS USED, AND WIRED TO AN OUTLET BOX IN THE GARAGE,I CAN RUN A HARDWIRE CONDUIT FROM THE OUTLET TO THE COMPRESSOR WITH 3 #10 WIRE STR WIRE SIZE IN THE CONDUIT CORRECT.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

You will still need a means of disconnecting it

Yes the breaker would be ok if it were in sight of the compressor but you said it's 50 feet away

I would put a small non fuseable knife type disconnect rite next to it and pipe it to that

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY A NON FUSEABLE KNIFE TYPE DISCONNECT. COULD YOU CLAIRIFY IT FOR ME SO I CAN GO AND BY ONE.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Shure it will look like a disconnect you see going to an outdoor a/c unit

They are approx 6x 10 inches and have a handel on them you can get them at home depot just be shure it's good for 30 amps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SO IF I GO THERE AND ASK THEM FOR A NON F USEABLE DISCONNECTRATED FOR ATLEAST 30 THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP ME.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Yes ask for a non fusable 30 amp indoor disconnect

Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience: over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK GREAT THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome