Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am Installing a 200 amp meter breaker box combo . In the

I am Installing a 200 amp meter breaker box combo . In the meter part of the box there are 3 wires ( 2 hot, 1 nuetral) and a spot for a ground. Now there is a metal plate that the nuetral and ground are connected to that runs down to the breaker box. on that plate in the breaker box there is a spot for a ground and 2 spots for nuetrals and a bus bar. My question is do i need to run the ground to the meter box part or do i run it to the breaker box part. this is a 4 wire system going into a house.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

HiCustomer In my jurisdiction, we never install ground wires to a meter base. It always connects to the electrical panel. There are 2 different Utility Companies in my area, and this is how both want the grounding to be done. Once again, they do not want ground wires connected to their meter bases.

However, I have been told that this is not the case in all municipalities. Electricians from other towns have told me that in their hometowns, they have to ground the meter base to meet local Codes. So to know for sure, you will need to call your local building department. But I suspect they will tell you not to ground the meter base.

• If you need further clarification, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction if my goal
Your positive feedback helps me to earn prizes, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to leave it for me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the meter base and breaker box are all in one with a meteal plate connecting the nuetral and ground in both the meter base and breaker box so would it actually mater
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Technically, since they are bonded by one piece of metal, it doesn't really matter. But I would route the ground wire to the panel portion of the meter/panel combo, not into the meter base portion.
Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.