Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I am replacing My bathroom heater/vent fan/light.

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Glenn - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Hello

What are you trying to do ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Having a problem wiring the new unit.I have 3 seperat switches 1st turns on light above sink and light in heater/blower/light unit. I cannot get light to come on in new unit nor can i get heater to come on. reminder there are 3 seperat switches not a 3 way combo switch. Also there are 2 seperat black and white wires(1. b@k 2.b@k)entering unit in attic.Back to switches 2nd turns on blower 3rd turns on heater.Light above sink comes on.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

How many wires do you have coming into the 3 switches ?

What color are they ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2 wires black@white in each wire at least that is what it looks like without removing each switch

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok so a total of 6 wires ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4wires Look like switches are looped toghter. My problem is this (i have heater working)but when i hook up the vent fan the light above the sink comes on real dim.Also i canot get the light in the new unit to come when iplug it in.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Do you have a meter for testing ?
Does the power come into the switch box ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Power comes into switch box. I do not have a meter.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok the hot wire should pigtail to all 3 switches
All the white wires should tie together with a wire nut
Out of each switch the black to the fan/light /and heater will go
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Remember there are 2 main wires coming from switch box each has a black and white wire in fan heater blower unit there is a blue and white wire for the light ablack and white wire for the fan and a red and white wire for the heater as of now the light comes on with the light above the sink the fan comes on correctly but when i have the lights on and then turnon the heater the heater works but the light in the unit cuts off light above sink stays on this does not bother me but i cannot figure out correct wiring.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Hello

What i need to know is, Is there 2 wires coming from each device the fan the heater and the vanity light ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, heater(red@white)Fan(Black@White)Light(Blue@White)
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

All white wires will go to your incoming white wire

red from heater to heater switch

black from fan to fan switch

blue from light to the light switch

All switches will have the same incoming feed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last statement I have two incoming WHITE WIRES and two incoming BLACK WIRES from attic.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

By incoming do you mean they are power in ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok were the switches all jumped togeather before ? as far as the feed goes ?

Is there anything else not workng ?

How do you know these are hot without a meter ?

PLEASE answer all 3 questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Switches already jumped together when home was built. Only thing wrong now is when you turn on heater the lights above sink and light in new BROAN model 655 comes on.I do not have a meter but the two wires in attic coming into BROAN unit have to be hot or nothing would work or is only one hot guess i need to get a meter.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

2 sets of wires going into the broan ?

Or just 2 wires ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Two sets of wires . Each has a heavy duty white@Black.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok and I assume you must have them all hooked together

What I would do here is try one set first and see if it switches with the proper switch

If it dosen't swap them if that works just cap the 2 that must come from the heater because it comes on with the heater

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I will try in the morning and get back with you. THANKS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Glenn I finally got it to work. The last thing i tryed with blind faith was to take the blue wire of the light socket in the broan and tie it to the one incoming white wire and then i tied the white wire of the light socket in the broan to the other incoming white wire. Blue to white and white to white. I do not understand but it worked.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

sounds like it was some type of switch leg if it's 2 white wires what about the blacks ?

Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience: over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tied the red wire of the heater to one incoming black and i tied the black wire of the vent fan to the other incoming black wire.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Great so your telling me there was no black wire coming into the broan ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Glenn there were two black wires coming to the broan from the attic.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

What did you do with them ??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Glenn everthing is working correctly now thanks for all the help.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
your welcome