Paul
Paul, Electrician
Experience:  23 yrs as an electrician, self employed contractor, municipal inspector

need some help on wiring a shunt trip

need some help on wiring a shunt trip
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Hello
What type of help do you need ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a 3 pole 800 main with a 120v shunt trip device. I have never wire one before. the shunt trip button is allready installed. the two black wires from the breaker ?? one goes to netural ? and the other ?? and something about a coil ?

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, no...the shunt trip is for turning off power to a building. I know i need to bring a 120v circuit from the house panel to a coil located in the MDP. from the coil wires go to the shunt trip button. From the button wires go to the main breaker. Just not sure exactly how
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Several diagrams here

Do you want shut the building off on low powr or jusy remotely ?

http://www.fusecoinc.com/pdf/fusible_shunt.pdf

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
getting close...what I have is a MDP with a GE Main breaker 800amp 3 phase. and INSIDE the breaker is a shunt trip device with two black wires comming out of it. The two black wires are to connect to the shunt trip button on the outside wall..??
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Do you have the diagram ?

It sounds like yes your correct the my question would be is it n/o or n/c ?

Momentary or not ?

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Is the coil voltage 110 volts ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the coil is 110v...and no I do not have the diagram....that is what I NEED..I am not sure of the actual wiring...need a one line if possable
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Do you have a model number ?

Can you follow thse 2 wires and tell me where they go ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GE spectra Series Mod# XXXXX and the two wires hang down out of the breaker a foot or so..and are connected to nothing (this is the info I need)..Back to my main question..I have a Main breaker in a MDP and I need to wire the shunt trip button on the outside of the building to shut off power in an emergency. I have 3 components, the breaker w/shunt trip, the remote shunt trip button, and a coil. How do I wire them
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Hello

Wire the 2 wires to the n/o on the momentary button
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have you wired one before ?? If I wire the two wires to the n/o..how do I get my 120v control voltage????
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Yes but there are all sorts of these out there

On the coil how wany wires are going to it ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your time
Expert:  Paul replied 5 years ago.

Hi

You have two choices to wire this unit.

1. You can tap the main buss below the main breaker and install an in line fuse.

2. You can come off a dedicated branch breaker in a nearby panel and use a breaker lock. Option #2 is the one I recommend.

You wire these devices just like a door bell, except you are using 110v as a transformer. You need to run a neutral wire to one side the trip coil and the other side will come from the trip button.

If you need more help please ask me.

Paul, Electrician
Experience: 23 yrs as an electrician, self employed contractor, municipal inspector