larryyb
larryyb, Handyman
Experience:  appliance tech for over 30 years
14308609

Our ceiling fan lights suddenly stopped working - its not

Customer Question

Our ceiling fan lights suddenly stopped working - it's not the bulbs. The fan works, so we know the power isn't an issue. What can we do?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  larryyb replied 5 years ago.
eather the wiring inside the head that suppys power to the switch has came apart from all the movement or you light switch has gone out / larry
larryyb, Handyman
Experience: appliance tech for over 30 years
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Can you give me some background on this problem?

1. How are the lights controlled? switches, pull chains or remote?
  2. What have you done thus far to trouble shoot this problem?
  3. Are the lights controlled from more then one location
  4. Do you have access to a volt meter?

Once you give me this information - we can move forward in trouble shooting and fixing this.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, Please dont hesitate to ask!
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction is my Goal!!

graphic
Expert:  larryyb replied 5 years ago.
if any more help is needed eather myself or joseph will glad to help / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
  1. How are the lights controlled? switches, pull chains or remote? Pull chain
  2. What have you done thus far to trouble shoot this problem? Checked bulbs
  3. Are the lights controlled from more then one location Only 1 location
  4. Do you have access to a volt meter? No

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Let me just clear something up. Do you have a wall switch on this at all? Or is the fixture controlled soley by the pull chains with no switch?

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a wall switch and a chain on the light fixture. We've tried both - I know the wall switch is working because I can get the fan to operate (they're on the same switch).
Expert:  larryyb replied 5 years ago.
i will turn this over to my friend joseph ,,, he is into electrical more than myself but if any problems with your appliances just feel free to contact me / larry
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Do you have access to the fan? There are a few things I will need you to check.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes - what do you need me to check?

Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

First thing is this: Open up the housing where the unit meets the ceiling ( this is where the main wiring is housed) and double check that both your black and blue wires from the fan are indeed still connected to the black wire coming from the switch. Make sure the wiring is nice and tight. It is possible that the wires did come loose.

Now if that does not fix the prolem - let me know and ill have you move onto step 2.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks - will have to wait till later this evening to check - on my way out the door - but will do - thanks so much!

Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

No problem - let me know what you find so we can get this up and running for you.

graphic