Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I have and existing single pole switch that is wired power

I have and existing single pole switch that is wired power to light switch leg down to switch so I have one 14/2 wire in this box. I want to add another box at another location and make this a 3 way switch I have run a 14/3 wire between the 2 boxes but am not sure how to wire the switches because only 1 14/2 wire to existing switch. What do I need to do to make this work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Glenn - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Hello

So you have run the 14/3 in between the 2 switches ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Here is a picture of a typical 3 way I know it dosen't show power coming into the light but you will get the idea If not i will find you a picture of one with power coming into the light

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The existing box only has 1 14/2 wire in it hooked to a single pole switch Black to black pole white to white pole copper to green. I have run a new 14/3 wire to a new second box I have 2 new 3 way switches how do I wire switch #1 existing box 1 14/2 wire, 1 14/3 wire and how do I wire switch #2 1 14/3 wire.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok here is what you do the power coming in to the light hook the white to the light
Hook the black to the white going to the first switch
On the first switch connect that white wire to the dark screw
Now your 14/3 connect the red and white wires to each of the other screws
Now on the other switch connect the red and white to the same 2 screws as you did in the first switch
Now the black from the 14/3 on switch #2 will go to the dark screw
Now this leaves you with 2 black wires in switch #1 wire nut them together
Now at the light you have a black wire connect that to the light
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience: over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Glen,

I don't know how the lights are wired they are 8 ceiling lights wired together in an existing ceiling. Since the existing single pole switch had only one wire in it and it turned the 8 lights on and off I figured it had to be a switch leg down to switch are you telling me I have to rewire the existing lights at the power source?

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

No if you follow my directions step by step to the light with the power coming in and the wire going to the first switch this will make that light work

Now you didn't say anything about additional lights the other lights will daisy chain off the light you wired