electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

Why is the neutral wire in my home carrying power

Customer Question

Why is the neutral wire in my home carrying power?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer
The neutral is the electrical systems path for the return to the panel .. there needs to be a complete circuit for the electericity to be used by any device ..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand your reply but that is not the problem I have one circuit that has a live neutral and nothing works on this circuit
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.
If that is the case then you probebly have a disconnected hot wire in the circuit and it is possible that it is touching the neutral .
So you could start at the first effected outlet and take it out of the box looking for a disconnected wire .
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.
Is this a circuit that shares a neutral ?
is this circuit all lights, all outlets, or both ?
What have you got disconnected, if anything ?
how did you experience this hot neutral ?
Thanks ,, Rich
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a simple light probe tester it glows when tested hot to ground and glows neutral to ground this is a 15 amp circuit of mixed lights and outlets w/1 ground fault and i think i have disonnected any thing in the basement that the former owners cobbled in
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.
<p>doe it also glow when tEsting hot to neutral ? </p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Rich, No it doesn't

Ernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really could use a reply here or by email I really need to get to work
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Electrifier - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

You have a neutral that has become disconnected and it shows hot because it is trying to complete the circuit back to the panel. The ground is connected to the panel and the neutral is not. Check from the white wire connection in the panel thru each box to find where the neutral is broken. It could be a broken wire inside the white insulation or a white wire that has come loose.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise