Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

have a 100 amp breaker panel 220 volt i feel the panel is overloaded

have a 100 amp breaker panel 220 volt i feel the panel is overloaded now and my cutomer wants me to ad 40amp 220 more for a range. it would then have 1-60amp 2-30amp2-40amp 1-50amp plus the single poles for lights and recepticals what do you think?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Yes you are right - and if you were inspected you would most likely fail. Based on just this info - you would be exceeding the calculated load for a 100amp panel. In reality they would need to upgrade to a 200amp service with a 200amp 30 or 40space panel.

I know times are tough - but I would not compromise the integrity of your license by doing work that could overload the panel and cause a fire. Or even worse - get dingded by an inspector, and have sanctions or even the loss of your license from obvious negligence for the code.

Dont take offence to what I stated, but I would not do the job unless the customer agreed to an upgrade.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal