How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Service Technician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4276
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do you split a 220 into a 110

This answer was rated:

how do you split a 220 into a 110 ?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We have a 220 outlet in what is now our shop. We would like to split it so we can use that outlet. This 'shop' was once a laundry room.

Thanks, Nancy

Hi Nancy. Do you know where the breaker is that feeds the 220 outlet? If so, can you tell me the amperage rating for the breaker? I also need to know if the 220 outlet was the only thing fed by the breaker.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


We have two breakers @ 30 amps each. Yes to 220 outlet fed by breaker.


Thanks Nancy













Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Thank you for the additional information. You will need to figure out which breaker feeds the outlet you want to convert. Remove the breaker and replace it with a single pole 20 amp breaker. You may need to buy a second single pole breaker to fill the other hole in the panel cover. There are also "filler plates" available for this purpose.


Connect the black wire for the circuit to the single pole 20 amp breaker. If there is a white wire connected to the old double pole breaker, remove it from the breaker and connect it to the neutral bar. If there is a red wire connected to the breaker, and the white wire is already on the neutral bar, remove the red wire from the breaker and cap it off at both ends.


At the other end, where the new 110 volt outlet goes, you will use black and white to feed the new outlet. Black goes to the gold screw, white to the silver screw. Don't forget to ground the outlet, if there is a ground wire in the circuit. If there isn't a ground wire, let me know.

  • If you need further clarification, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction if my goal
  • Your positive feedback helps me to earn prizes, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to leave it for me.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


My sweetie believes there is a ground but if not, what is our next step?

Thanks Nancy

Is there a red wire in the circuit?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


There is only a black wire to the breaker.

Are you saying it's a single pole breaker? What was fed by the outlet you want to change? I assumed since it was formerly a laundry room, the 30 amp outlet was for a dryer. Is this not the case?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was a laundry room. Yes it's a single pole breaker.
In that case, you should already be getting 110 volts from the circuit. Single pole breakers put out 110 volts. Double pole breakers put out 220 volts. Do you have a volt meter? If not, is there a voltage rating stamped on the outlet you want to change?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have a 30 amp. And 125/250 volt.

That means it is at least a 3 wire outlet. In order to put out 125 and 250 volts, it would need 1 black, 1 red, and 1 white wire connected to it. If it has a 4th wire, that would be the ground wire.


Voltage from black to red would be 240 (250) volts.


Voltage from black to white OR red to white would be 125 volts.


It would require a double pole breaker to get 240 volts at the outlet.


Are you able to take a picture of the breaker and post it here?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We do not have the capabilities to sent a picture.
Have you removed the cover from the outlet yet? If not, please do so. I need to know how many wires are connected to the outlet, and what colors they are. Please be very careful not to touch any metal parts of the outlet when removing the cover. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Black, white and ground
Okay, that could be either 120 volts or 250 volts. I assume you don't have a voltmeter. Do you see any numbers (other than voltage or amperage) on the outlet cover? If so, please post them here. If not, can you describe the slot configuration?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It is a 3 prong outlet. Bottom looks like an upside down L. At 2;00 flat slant. At 10:00 the same slant .

Is this it?



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES Sir.

I strongly suspect this outlet is wired for 220 volts, so there should be a double pole breaker in your panel with a white wire connected to it. The other wire on this breaker should be black. Have you removed the panel cover to look for such a breaker?


There are 2 options here to determine what needs to be done. You can buy a basic digital volt meter for about $20 and take a voltage reading from black to white.


Or, you can rig up a cord and do some testing at the outlet to determine whether it is wired for 220 volts. If you choose this option, let me know so I can give some instructions. Keep in mind that this is somewhat dangerous.

Jason and 2 other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


we are going to get a volt meter. Can we get back to you so we don't have to start over ? How does this all work ? Thank you so much for your time and great info. You are the man.

Thanks again


You can just continue replying to this thread the same way you already have been doing. I will keep an eye out for a reply from you. Just let me know when you get the voltmeter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My pleasure. Looking forward to picking back up on this. Have a great day!

Related Electrical Questions