Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

My masters bathroom light flashes on and off when I turn it

My master's bathroom light flashes on and off when I turn it on. When I turn on the fan it gets even worse.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

HiCustomer These types of problems are most often due to loose connections at the switch, or a faulty switch. To check for this, make sure all connections at the switch are tight. If that doesn't correct the problem, replace the switch. Before replacing the switch, look at how the wires are connected to it. If they ar pushed into small holes on the back of the switch, reconnect them to the switch using the side screws. Make sure any splices in the switch box are tight.

• If you need further clarification, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction if my goal
  • Your positive feedback helps me to earn prizes, I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to leave it for me.
Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the switch, but it's still doing it. Not as frequent as it was happening before.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
In that case, there may be a loose connection at the light fixture itself. Please open the light fixture and check the connections there. If you need to reply to this thread, please do so and I will be happy to continue helping you at no additional charge. Thank you for accepting my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now the bathroom,toilet room, fan, and closet light, including outlets where the security alarm is connected do not work.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

This is due to a loose connection, or a breaker that is bad or going bad. If you are comfortable doing so, please tighten all connections in your electrical panel. It is safest to tighten the wires on the breakers with the breakers turned off. Don't forget to check the neutral wires in the panel as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to temporarily swap the breaker for the affected circuit with another breaker from your panel.

Since you replaced a switch and noticed changes afterwards, there could be a loose wire in the switch box. If not there, then definitely somewhere along the affected circuit. Unfortunately, these types of things can be time consuming and frustrating to track down. I would look at nonworking outlets to make sure the wires are not pushed into the small holes on the back. If they are, it would be a good idea to reconnect them using the side screws. You may have to open a working outlet to find this problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will pass this on to my husband. Thank you!
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure. I'm sorry this is being so difficult to track down. But I'm here to help, so keep me posted and I'll offer all the assistance I can. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, a couple of hours passed and suddenly, the bathroom light came on! I flipped the switch and the fan came on and the security alarm came on, also! All from the same switch!

My husband was concerned that there was a short and so he turned off the power to the bathroom on the box.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The problem you are having is referred to as an Open, not a short. It is not likely to cause a fire. But it's better to be safe than sorry. It's a loose connection that sometimes makes contact, and sometimes does not. If you open enough junction boxes, eventually you will find the problem. The junction boxes are located where there are outlets, light switches, light fixtures, and sometimes in attics and basements - just for the purpose of splicing wires, meaning they would not have outlets or switches in them (when they are located in the attic or the basement).