Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

When I turn off my kitchen light, the t.v. often goes out for

Customer Question

When I turn off my kitchen light, the t.v. often goes out for about a second. What could be causing this? Is it expensive to have repaired? Is it dangerous? Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Electrifier - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Do you know if the kitchen lights and the TV are on the same circuit?
If they are not do you know the relationship of the breakers or fuses in the panel? Where are they in relation to each other?
  • If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
According to tests made when I purchased the house, they are not on the same circuit. My notes indicate that the kitchen light in question is on #12 while the t.v. in the living room is on #9. Does that make any sense? Might a cable t.v. installer have messed something up? The problem, as I said is intermittent; I'm more concerned now because I recently purchased an HDTV (right before I lost my job0. The problem existed, however, before the new t.v. Thanks for any help you might provide.

So these are breaker numbers I take it. #9 is across from the breaker next to #12. You said you just got a new TV, Does the TV actually turn off or does it just flash the picture like the cable is screwed up? Does the cable run thru a cable box? Is it the cable box that flashed off and not the TV? If you lost power to your TV for a second wouldn't you have to turn the TV on again?
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New t.v. not a factor because it did it with my old t.v. The t.v. just flahes and it does run through a cable box. And, no, I would not have to turn on the t.v. after a loss of power. If one's lights go out due to a loss of power, they come on again when power is restored without having to flip a switch. Sorry if I'm an electricity idiot; plese get back to me. Thanks!

A light switch in a house is a hard contact, it's mechanically open or closed, off or on. Any piece of electronics, TV, Computer, etc. has a momentary switch that closes an electronic latch. If the power flashes off in the house you have to turn the computer back on and likewise you have to turn the TV back on.
Back to your problem, there is no way that turning off the kitchen lights on one circuit could have any bearing on the TV on another circuit and make it flash off and come back on again. Do you have a pilot light on the front of your TV? Does this light turn off and on when the kitchen light is turned off? What else is affected when this light is turned off? There have to be some other things going on and you say it doesn't happen every time.
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. It's not the entire house affected- only the TV and only sometimes when turning off kitchen light. That's why it's hard for me to document occurences.Cable company is coming 1/15, but already they're saying it's not them (I pay extra for wiring, by the way). The TV only does this weird thing when the kitchen light is turned OFF. There is another switch in the kitchen for the same light that is seldom used and it appears not to cause the problem.

Is the pilot light on the front of my TV the red light that is always on? Thanks so much for your help.

Yes it is. Turn off the TV and see if the red light goes off? I have a TV where the red light turns off when the TV is on. Yours could work either way. Test the TV by unplugging it and plugging it right back in to see if it goes off and stays off.
You say your kitchen hasXXXXXswitches that control the light. Does this same thing happen with the 2nd switch in the other position?
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal