Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

wiring an outlet for a fireplace insert

Customer Question

I plan on installing a wood burning fire place insert. It needs an electrical outlet / extension cord for the insert to be plugged into at the back of the fireplace.

I plan on running the wire from the basement into the fireplace and then plugging it into a GFCI outlet in the basement (means I want to do it as an extension cord).

The thing I wonder now, is there a special heat resistance electrical wire and socket hardware for such installations? Normal wiring seems to be rated for maximum of 90 degrees and I have to believe that the temperature will go higher then that this close to a wood-stove.

Thank you in advance for your answer!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

You only have 2 choices here. You can either place an outlet directly behind the unit, or you will need to hard wire the unit.

If you hard wire the unit - you will be best to run your wiring to a junction box in the basement, then running MC cable up through the floor to connect to the heater.

Running a cord through the floor into the basement to plug this in is illegal, against the electrical code and therefore out of the question.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, this makes sense in regards XXXXX XXXXX code.

As for the MC cable, I am surprised you think it will withstand the heat - particularly with a metal casing. Or is it a special MC cable that would withstand the heat.

Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Here is the part that your missing. degree rating on wiring is in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. So this will withstand temperatures up to 194 degrees. So yes this will withstand the temperatures.

You also have to remember the electrical connections are at the bottom rear of the unit. Heat rises so you will not get anywhere the amount of heat at the bottom rear as you would at the top front.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ahh - Celsius! Thank you that was indeed what I was missing.
Thank you very much! And thanks for telling me that my original plan is against code!

Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

No a problem - if you need anything further please let me know. Good Luck!!

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal