Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

The AC voltage in my house varies between 110 and 120 volts

The AC voltage in my house varies between 110 and 120 volts which is causing lights to dim and brighten. Although this would seem to be a fairly tolerable fluctuation, I don't see why it would cause the lights to dim/brighten. Then I discovered that I'm not getting enough power to run my microwave or my (220v) clothes dryer.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

When does the fluctuation occur? Is there some common factor that causes this? ie AC unit kicking on - fridge turning on/off etc.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please dont hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Seems to be random. I had the refrigerator and sump pumps unplugged and the furnace turned off when I tested it. Now, with both the refrigerator (compresser running) and the (gas) furnace (blower running) it's fluctuating between 106 and 117v.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Do me a favor - take these readings on the top of the main breaker in your panel and tell me what you find. Take them line to line and line to ground - line to ground.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The line to line reading was 242v and constant. Line to ground was 2v.
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Ok - Im sorry to have to keep you doing this but I need you to take line to neutral and line to ground. Do this on both sides of the main breaker.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just so I understand. We want 3 readings. Line (black) to neutral white), line to ground (bare copper) and neutral to ground?
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Line 1 to ground then line 1 to neutral
Line 2 to ground then line 2 to neutral

So in essence your taking 4 readings.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok - over about a 15 minute period I got high and low readings as follows

Line 1 to neutral 133v - 122v
Line 1 to ground 133v -119v

Line 2 to neutral 119v - 107v
Line 2 to ground 119v - 107v
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Ok your problem is not internal. Your problem is going to be with the utility. What you need to do is call them and tell them what is going on. Either your meter is going bad - or the utility connections are coming loose. Either way - the problem lies with them.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor