Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I am installing an American Standard Whirlpool tub in our remodeled

I am installing an American Standard Whirlpool tub in our remodeled bath. My pump and heater both require a dedicated 15 amp GFCI protected circuit. Being 15 amp, I went ahead and put in 14 gauge wire for both circuits. Now I see that the tub manual, as best I can understand, indicates 12 gauge needed. (See chart at bottom of page 11 here: http://www.americanstandard-us.com/Assets/pdfs/as/install/Install_1742.pdf)

Pump motor is 7.5 amps, heater is 12 amps. Length of NM between receptacles and panel is approximately 45 feet.

I spent an afternoon running the 14 gauge cables through walls, etc. I'm really really hoping I don't have to pull it all out and go buy 12 gauge if there is no real need. But if needed, I will.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

You link didn't work however the 12 amp draw on the heater should be ok on a 15 amp circuit because it really dosen't have an inrush current like a motor does

The pump should be just fine onn the 15 amp circuit

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. The installation instructions have a "wire selection guide" that recommends 12 gauge cable for 50' maximum distance to panel, 10 gauge for 100' distance, 8 gauge for 150' distance, etc.
Why do you think they would recommend the 12 gauge for only a 50' distance on a 15 amp circuit? Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

I don't know rule of thumb and if you do the caculations is anything over 100 feet warrents a larger gauge wire

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't want to go to unnecessary expense and trouble but I want to feel assured I'm doing a good safe job. So you believe I'm ok to leave the 14 gauge in place then?
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

I would feel safe with the 14 ga wire the biggest thing is on a long run is the voltage drop which increases amperage

You are only 45 feet that's not even close to worry about