Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Power went out in 3 rooms, kitchen, master bed and living room.

Customer Question

Power went out in 3 rooms, kitchen, master bed and living room. This is a 1976 Mobile home. The circuit breakers did not break the circuits when the power went out. When I tested the breakers all the no power ones were 20 amp, all had black wires, all had twin breakers 2 wires each. The three breakers that were out corrosponded with the areas that were out according to the labeling on the panel door. I put my multimeter on 200 volts positive to the black breaker wires and negative to the common with no voltage reading on all three. Got 120v on the good breakers. Unplugged all stuff in the affected areas unwired the stove and dishwasher. The wiring has bare copper wire ground with common ground. I can not get 240 volts at the main panel testing the large black with positive and the large red with with neg. Theres 100 amp breaker at the meter. There is 248v going in with red and black wires out. Testing them togeather only shows 120v. Could one leg of the 100 amp breaker be bad?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Hi redcast. Are you saying you read the main wires on the INPUT side of the main breaker at the meter and got 248 volts? Also, is there a main breaker in the panel, or is it main lugs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes input 248 100 amp at the meter panel
I tested the two metal mounts that the circuit breaker is attached to and got 248v the output from the breaker was 120.4
Don't know exactly what lugs are I assume they are the big screws that hold the large wires
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jason...what happened...if you can't help please let me know so I can look elsewhere
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Hello again. Sorry for the delay. I am slightly unclear on the information you entered at 7:24 PM. But if you got 248 volts going INTO the breaker, and 120.4 coming OUT of the breaker, and both tests were taken in the same panel, then you definitely have a bad breaker. Just to confirm this, if you haven't already done so, please turn the main breaker all the way OFF and then back ON. If one leg is tripped, this will reset the tripped leg, if the breaker isn't malfunctioning.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunatly because the kitchen power was out and thanksgiving dinner was in jeapody we could not wait for your answer so we called an electrican. The bus bar in the meter melted on one side and had to be replaced.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
I'm very sorry to hear that and I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the delay. I had some difficulties at home that I had to address. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful, in spite of the electrical issue. And I hope the expense was bearable for you, I know a repair like that can be expensive. Please do not accept and pay for an answer from me, as I caused you to wait for my answer, and it wasn't the main breaker after all. I do hope you will return to Just Answer in the future. Have a blessed Holiday Season.