Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I have a Kenmore 80 series dryer with a 4 prong 30 amp cord.

I have a Kenmore 80 series dryer with a 4 prong 30 amp cord. I recently moved into a new apartment and I need to switch it out with a 3 prong 30 amp cord. Is this something I can safely do myself? I've already removed the 4 prong cord, but a little nervous about connecting the new one and having it work.
Hello
You can do this
What you want to do is inside the dryer where he wires connect take a piece of wire and jump the green and white wires together
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

When I disconnected the green wire, underneath it was another green wire going into the dryer. I bought a 3 prong 30 amp cord from Lowe's and it didn't come with any extra wires or anything. It looks like I just need to connect the 3 wires to the dryer (no instructions were given), is that not right? I don't have any extra wire or anything, just the cord with three wires on it.

hello

Are the wires colored on the new cord ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, no colors at all.

Hello
ok I'm sure it's a flat cable
What you want to do is connect the 2 outside wires to the red and black in the dryer
The center wire will go to the green and also where the white wire was you must cut a jumper wire for this