electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

I HAVE A SUNTANA WOLFFSYSTEM MODEL SW-24 TANNING BED, I NEED

Customer Question

I HAVE A SUNTANA WOLFFSYSTEM MODEL SW-24 TANNING BED, I NEED THE ELECTRICAL INFO ON THIS CAN YOU HELP, I HAVE A 60 AMP BREAKER INSTALLED AND WHEN I TURN IT ON IT TRIPS THE BREAKER AFTER A SHORT TIME. WHEN I WAS CHECKING THE CONNECTIONS FOR TIMER AND PLUG TO TOP PART OF BED I TOUCHED THE FUSE BLOCK AND IT POPPED WITH ELECTRIC SHOOTING OUT WITHOUT THE TIMER OR ANYTHING ELSE RUNNING. IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SHOW ME THE WIRING I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 6 years ago.

How long is a short time? There should be a tag on the bed near the junction box or cord that gives the voltage, wattage and amprage rating of the bed. Look for this tag and we will determine the requirements for this bed. I have not yet found your exact model of bed from Wolff System but I continue to search for it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I HAVE LOOKED AT EVERY POSSIBLE SPOT ON BED, EVEN TOOK PANEL OFF AND THERE'S NO LABEL TO BE FOUND. THE BED STAYS ON PROBALY ABOUT 30 TO 45 SECONDS BEFORE IT TRIPS BREAKER. WISH I HAD MORE INFO BUT DONT

I have contacted the company but it's after hours there so I expect an answer tomorrow sometime.

30 seconds makes me think it's wired incorrectly so it's drawing way too much power. We will have an answer for you tomorrow. In the mean time what do you use to connect the bed to the 60 amp power source? I need wire size and conductors and what terminals you have the conductors connected to.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IT WAS WIRED WITH A 3 WIRE LOOKS LIKE A 220 VOLT DRYER CORD, IT WAS ALREADY PREWIRED AND HAD BEEN USED BEFORE AT ANOTHER LOCATION. I HAVE IT RUN FROM THE BREAKER TO THE BED WITH A 600 VOLT RATED AWG 6 GAUGE LEADS WITH AWG 10 GAUGE GROUND WIRE ROMEX THIS IS A 3 WIRE TYPE ROMEX HOOKED INTO A 60 AMP DOUBLE BREAKER. HOPE THIS HELPS
The bed is 240 volts. Black and White need to be connected to make 240 volts. The 3rd wire is the ground wire but electrically it's like a neutral and if wired incorrectly it will cause problems. You need to check the 240 volt receptacle for wiring to assure there is 240 volts on the proper terminals and check in the bed where the cord attaches to make sure that is wired correctly as well. Either the black or the white wire and the bare or green wire will read 120 volts and the black and white wires will read 240 volts when a volt meter checks the voltage across the pair or wires. If the pigtail is wired incorrectly a correctly wired receptacle will cause a problem. The previous location may have been wired wrong but both the cord and receptacle consistantly wired wrong. If you are confused at this point please ask me more questions and we will get thru this. Not being able to see the wiring makes it difficult. If you can take pictures of the receptacle wiring and also the wiring inside the bed I can more clearly tell you the problem. The breaker tripping in 30 to 45 seconds indicates improper wiring, the wrong voltage at the wrong place. This will make too much current flow and trip the breaker. Eventually it will damage the bed. The breaker is the safety device to prevent desaster and it's working. Reply back and we'll get thru this if this hasn't fixed the problem for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED ALL THE LEADS COMING TO BED THEY ARE RIGHT AS FAR AS CURRENT AND GROUND. I WILL TAKE A PIC OF TERMINAL HOOKUP INSIDE PANEL AND SEND IT TO YOU TODAY. I HAVE TO GET ANOTHER FUSE BLOCK WHERE THE OLD ONE MELTED LAST NIGHT AND ARCED ONTO PANEL PLATE. ONCE I REPLACE THAT I WILL GET BACK WITH YOU
I have the name and number of the business who has any available factory parts for this bed. The bed is pre-1997 as the factory has nothing left as far as documentation on the bed. AAA Wolff Tan(NNN) NNN-NNNNEx 109 for Paul and they can send probably hook you up with a diagram and manual for the bed. It costs $19.95 including shipping. They do need the year of manufactur and exact model number. These are found on the left end of the bed either on the bench or the canopy. Facing the side of the bed that opens go to the left end and look for the tag that ID's the bed. A 60 amp breaker is too bid and is dangerous. Paul said either 20 Amp or 30 Amp is correct but without the model number he doesn't know which it would be. The bed is a 4 wire bed and needs to be wired with a 4 wire cord, not 3 wire. The NM cable needs to be 4 wire as well. For 30 Amp it needs to be 10/3 WG. The Red and Black are current conductors, White is Neutral and bare is ground. Coming from a service disconnect, main panel, the bare and white would connect together, from a sub panel they are seperate. Pictures will assist me in getting you going. Paul said this is a wonderful bed and should last you many more years. We now have a direction to go in so lets get this completed for you. Thank you for the chance to help you with this matter.
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU THAT WILL ATLEAST GET ME STARTED ON THE RIGHT TRACK I AM SENDING YOU A PIC OF THE TERMINALS. FOR YOU TO SEE I AM NOT SURE IF IT CAME THROUGH graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic

I believe I have given you the avenue to get the information you asked for in your original question. Now I want to see your bed operating. Remember, Green is ground, White is neutral, Red and Black are the current carrying conductors. It's hard to see in the picture just what is connected to what as the cord doesn't show wire colors. 4 wires are necessary and when you contact the number I gave you earlier they can tell you the proper amperage for this bed. It will work at the proper amperage, do not install a bigger breaker to get it to not trip. This will eventually cause a fire if you go big enough. On your cord in the picture it appears the center wire is not connected to neutral or ground. If an outside wire is connected to either or both of these wires that is your problem. Both outside wires connect to the red and black wires in the unit. White and green connect to the same colors in the cord.

If you feel I've answered your initial question please accept the answer so I get paid. I will continue to work with you to assure your bed is up and running. Thank you for this chance to help you with this problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I FOUND A FADED LABEL ON THE SIDE IT IS A 24 AMP/ 120 VOLT BED AND WAS MADE IN 1987. I HAVE CALLED THE# XXXXX GAVE ME AND HOPEFULLY THEY CAN SEND ME WHAT I NEED. IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THESE BEDS ARE SO DIFFERENT EVEN WITH THE DIFFERENT MODELS THEY HAVE.

Good job...... You have the information you need now. The bed needs to be connected to a 30 amp single pole breaker, not a 60 amp double pole breaker. By connecting it to the 2 pole breaker you have supplied 240 volts to the bed and possibly damaged the controls. Lets hope everything is OK. The 3 wire cord is correct as it is probably a 30 amp 120 volt cord such as is used in the RV industry on camper trailers. In your receptacle where the bed plugs in you have a black, white and bare wire. Black goes to one side, white to the other and bare to the ground. Normally the ground is a green headed screw, white is a silver screw and black is a copper colored screw. If the connections are different just send me a picture and I'll help you straighten out things.

Thanks again for this opportunity to assist you with your problem.