Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I am installing a 240v construction heater in my garage. The

Customer Question

I am installing a 240v construction heater in my garage. The recepticle has 2 hots and a ground. I have a double pole 30 amp breaker connected in the panel, with 10 guage 2 wire cable. For some reason the heater does not work. I verified the heater works at a friends place. I tested each hot at the receipticle and each show 110-120v individually. What could be wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Test the wiring line to line - tell me if your getting 220v
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure how to do this - sorry first time wiring for 220. My voltmeter has 2 wires, a + and a -'ve. When I put the -'ve to ground, and +'ve to either hot, I get 110-120 on each. How do I test for 220? Do I put the +'ve against both hot wires?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
What you do is take and put one lead on the black and the other lead on the white.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, between white and black I get no reading. Between ground and white I get 120. Between ground and black I get 120. In the panel I have the ground on the groun bar. The white and black to the double pole breaker. On the receipticle, I have ground to ground. And white to one hot and black to the other hot. Is this correct?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Ok at the breaker panel, test the breaker - one lead on one terminal and the other lead on the other. If the breaker is bad - you will not get 220v.

Pictoral Illustration:
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Same result as with plug. From either terminal to ground, I get 120. When leads go to both terminals I get nothing. This is a subpanel wired in using #6/3 from my main panel. Main panel has 60amp double pole to connect sub panel. I believe I wired that correctly, but maybe not. In main panel I have red and black on the 60amp breaker, ground in ground, neutral on neutral bar. I think subpanel is right because I have normal 120v's in there working fine... Any other ideas? Do you think the 30amp breaker in the sub panel is bad?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
You can confirm your subpanel wiring by placing the leads on your main incoming lines. See diagram:
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the incoming lines to the subpanel. Black to white gives 110/120, red to white gives 110/120 and back to red gives 220/240... so this is right? Does it mean my 30amp breaker is bad in the subpanel? All breakers, wiring, panels etc are brand new by the way.
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Yes if you have 220v on the mains, but not on the 30amp - then your double pole 30amp breaker is bad. You will need to replace it.
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you for your help! I was 99.9 percent sure my wiring was right, but now I learned a lot about trouble shooting! Have a great night!