Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician

Why would I lose power to one side of my house..I mean there

Why would I lose power to one side of my house..I mean there is power there I checked with my meter but for some reason its not working the lights through the switches.Hope you can help me.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

How are you checking for power ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
checking from the switch to the ground
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

can you xplain your problem a little more in depth ?

where have you lost power at ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I have 3 switches by my back door.
2 work the outside lights and 1 works kitchen lights.
3 recepticals are also inline with this and they all work off the same breaker.
the recepticals have power.
Last winter a receptical shorted out in this line , we replaced it but we never recovered the lights.
I hate electricity so I pretty much avoided messing with the lights yea I know they are on breakers but I still have issues with it.

a few years back we lost power to the lights in the bath room. my father in law is a wiz at electricity so he determined it was the neutral wire so we replaced it an all was good.
The house was built back in 81 and winters in Alaska tend to take a toll on things.
Hope this helps
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

OK

so you say you have power at the switches ?

Is the netural wire going to the lights ok ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I replaced the switches None of them had neutral wires on them.
I checked for power to the Light and there is nothing there (I pulled the light down and checked for power)
All the white wires are wire nuted together.
There is a single Black wire going to each switch.
and 1 black wire that loops through all 3 switches.. I put the new switches in the way the old ones came out.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
OK

Is your meter a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Ok
At the switches go from the black to the bare ground do you have voltage there ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yep
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Ok good
Does that meter do ohms also ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Ok

shut the breaker off and in the lights set your eter to ohms and take a reading from the white wire to the bare ground
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
went from 1 to zero
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
This dosen't make any sence Is there a box or some connection inbetween the switch and the light ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well I will look further into it maybe pick up a book and a diff meter mine is old and my not be reading correct.
I have taken up to much of your time alrdy but I may call on you again when I have the new meter.

Thanks
Very much for your time.

And I do not see the green accept button.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Feel free to come back and ask for me I'll be more than happy to help
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience: over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician