Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

My bathroom fan will not shut off when I flip the switch.

Customer Question

My bathroom fan will not shut off when I flip the switch. It will shut off with I flip the circuit breaker. I tried disconnecting the switch all together, but it still came on when the circuit breaker was flipped on. Does this mean I need to change the switch on the wall?   It worked fine a week or so ago. Now it just runs and runs.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Your saying that the fan keeps running even when the breaker is shut off? Are you sure you have the right breaker? Also - have you disconnected the switch?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fan does not run when the breaker is off. When the breaker was off and the fan was off, I disconnected the flip switch on the wall. I turned the breaker on and the fan came back on - even with the switch disconnected.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok - dumb question but do you have the right switch?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
The problem is not your switch. Sound like somehow the electricicty is backfeeding into the fan by way of a broken wire. You are going to have to inspect the wiring in the fan and look for any broken or loose wiring. Same for the switch.