Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

I have a Thermador flush mounted wall heater in my bathroom and I need an on-off swit

Home was built in the 1950s
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Can you tell me the voltage and amperage of the heater? Also, are you planning to install a regular switch, like a light switch?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I apologize for the wait. I had to go back to work. I live in a house, so it should be 120v. The heater is on a 20 amp. circuit breaker all by itself.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.
Hello again. I have been looking for information about Thermador heaters Online and I am not having much luck. Is there a place on the heater itself where you can add a switch? Or, are you looking to intercept the circuit near the heater and add a wall switch? If you are replacing an existing switch that has failed, please post a part number here if you can find one. A model number from the heater would also be helpful. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am just looking to to replace the existing switch. From what I can tell,the contacts on the switch are broken. The only way I can shut off the heater is to trip the circuit. Moving the switch to the "off" position did not work. I removed the switch and noticed it was broken. If there were a model number present, I would tell you what it is. All that is visible is the name "Thermador". I know this is incomplete information. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.
I was afraid you would say that. With the limited resources available to you and me, I recommend installing a different type of switch. Are you opposed to that? I can walk you through how to do it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not opposed to installing another switch. I was told I needed a switch that was heavy enough amperage wise, so I did not melt it. Right now, I cannot install anything but I could use your advice and do it another day. Thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal On-Line "Electrical Consultant"

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Since the heater is on a 20 amp breaker by itself, I recommend buying a 20 amp rated switch. You can connect the two wires from the old switch to each other, and intercept the circuit near the heater with a cut-in box. Or, you can mount a surface box on the heater to hold the new switch. My concern is keeping the new switch away from too much heat in order to avoid damaging it.

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great night!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Jason (jbekah)

Don't forget to put "Question forJason (jbekah)" in the Subject line!!!