Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I recently had to replace my septic pump for the sewer systen

Customer Question

I recently had to replace my septic pump for the sewer systen at my house. I have a float alrm and the I have 2 floats that turn on and off the pump. How do you wire that float system and pump all at the same time A wiring series? HELPPPPPPP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
Hello
One float must be for the on and off the other is for the high alarm
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience: over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
forget about the alarm. the alarm is not the problem.The two floats work together in a series. I t was explained to me that if the one float failed to shut off or turn on the other float would kick in It is redundent.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you have 2 floats that turn on and off the septic pump. it is like a double swith. Both floats float up and the pump turns on the level goes down and both floats turn the pump off. how is that wired in a series???????
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
Hello
Ok then wire them in series
However this will mean that both flots have to be up for the pump to turn on
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am asking glen how do you wire these wires in a series?????
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer I see that glenn is offline, so I will step in here to help you get the pump floats wired. It's never a good thing when the septic system is down, so you have my sympathy.

I read the entire thread between you and glenn, and I found what appears to be a contradiction. If the floats are wired in series, BOTH floats will have to be up for the pump to turn on and if one float goes down, the pump will shut off. You stated that one float is like a backup in case the other float fails to activate the pump. In that case, you want to wire them in parallel, not series. If the floats are wired in parallel, then either one going up will turn the pump on, but both will have to go down to turn the pump off. I can tell you how to wire it either way, and you can decide which type of circuit to use.

To series the floats, bring incoming power (hot) to one float lead, tie the other lead from this same float to one lead on the second float. That leaves another lead on the second float. This last lead will connect to the hot lead for the pump motor. The incoming circuit neutral needs to go directly to the pump.

To parallel the floats, connect incoming hot power to the black leads for both floats, and connect both white leads from the floats to the hot lead on the pump. Incoming source neutral again needs to go directly to the pump. If any of this is unclear, just let me know, and I will be more than happy to clarify for you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will try that Jason. thank you I will be in touch
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.

Okay, no problem. Let me know how it turns out.