Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years
6457309

I have a 4 wire romex Black White, Red, Ground running to a

Customer Question

I have a 4 wire romex Black White, Red, Ground running to a new electrical ceiling box I just hung, problem is chandelier has only 2 wires from it neither are color coded, (just common lamp cable)Wondering about how to proceed?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Hello tellytub,

Welcome to Just Answer.

Lamp cord has a ribbed side and a smooth side. The ribbed wire is connected to your white (neutral) wire. The smooth wire is connected to the black (hot) wire.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What to do with Red Wire from romex?? That is the question?
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Is the red connected to the switch?

Did this used to be a setup for a ceiling fan?

Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Assuming this was a setup for a ceiling fan, you will need to connect the smooth lamp wire to the red ceiling wire. Connect the ribbed lamp wire to the white ceiling wire and cap the black ceiling wire securely with a wire nut.

Best of Luck, Brian

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This si new construction, brand new home. I am assuming that it was installed for a potential dimmer, or fan to be installed at this time the wall switch is only connected to the Black and white.
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

If the black wire is connected to switch, then connect everything as stated above, but use the black wire instead of the red. Just cap the red wire at each end with wire nuts.

Best of Luck, Brian