Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician

How do I hook a generator up to my water pump and/or pool equipment,

Customer Question

How do I hook a generator up to my water pump and/or pool equipment, preferably both?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Just a temp ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, just temporairily. Anticipate power outage from Hurricane Gustav and haven't a clue how I hook a portable generator up to the water pump for running water and the pool equipment in the event I have to drain it from over flowing while electricity is out.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

You can do this a couple of ways

If your panel is in the house run some romex into the panel disconnect the wires going to the pump from the panel and I mean all the wires and wire nut them to the temp romex the temp romex should be of the same size

Then get a male cord cap and wire it up so you can plug it in

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Explain temp "romex", please.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
Well the generator will have to be outside
I would get a piece of whatever size it is now 12/2 10/2 underground so you won't have to worry about it getting wet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Glen, but I'm as clueless as I was before. I'll try to get a neighbor to help me, if there's one staying around and not evacuating anytime soon. I'll look up the term romex in the dictionary. I'm thinking you mean the size of the cord when you say 12/2, 10/2 underground. I wasn't worring 'bout getting the cord wet though. The generator is deffinitely outside and away from windows/doors. I have one generator I'm using to hook the refrigerator and a small window unit up to. The pump is more important but I'm not an electrician and afraid I might really $#$% it up. Too late to get an electrician. My brother is bringing a second generator with him when he comes to stay and I was hoping to hook it to the well and pool equipment. Wish me luck!
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
The romex is just like the wire in your wall only good for wet locations the size will be written on the romex that is going to the pump now