Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician

How do I connect a three prong plug with white, black, green

Customer Question

How do I connect a three prong plug with white, black, green wires to a battery charger with black (ground) and yellow/red (sensor/positive) wires? I need to know which wire is which on the three prong plug. Thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
WHy are you calling the black wire a ground ??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I assumed it was. I don't know which is why I'm here?
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

The black and red wires are out put wires that go to the battery red being positive and black being negitive

Now as far as power going to this there must be another place to hook up a power cord

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Let me be more specific on what I'm attempting to do. I have a battery charger with a pos and neg wire leads. I want to be able to plug it (the charger) into a receptacle in order to charge my battery. I'm using a female, PC type power cord which has three wires, white, black and green. This cord plugs into the receptacle. I just need to know which of these I attach to the red and black wires coming from the charger.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Look red and black coming from the charger usually mean pos and neg to the battery not incoming power

Is this charger 220 volt input ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The charger is a 24v20amp Deltran Battery Tender. I know the red is pos and black is neg from the charger. I just need to know which of these go to the white, black, and green wires of the cord in order to work. Right now I have the green going to the positive (red) and the white and black going to the black (neg) of the charger but I suspect it's not correct. Is there a standard color key for 3 wire cords like this?
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Power in does not connect to these out going leads

There must be a small panel in the back that can be removed for the power going in

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Both leads from the charger had brackets on the end of each lead for attaching directly to the battery. All I'm doing really is adding the receptacle between the charger and the battery. The brackets are currently attached to the batteries and lead to the back of the receptacle. The plug (3 wire cord in question) plugs into the receptacle. I just need to solder the wires together and this should work.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question was never answered. I don't think the expert understood my question even though I stated it several times as clearly as I could. My last reply was simply ignored. I ended up finding the answer on my own on the net.