Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

I am changing the dryer outlet wall plug to accomadate a ...

I am changing the dryer outlet wall plug to accomadate a three prong plug, the old one was a 4 prong.I removed the old burnt outlet, only to discover I have 4 wires and my new outlet only has only three screws to acc.2 hots and 1 neut. , can I disreguard the second ground and still use the three prong plug ,or what can I do...Chad
Are you saying you already have a 4 prong dryer outlet installed? And you want to change it to a 3 prong?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
4 prong had burnt out,already removed, have three wire ,new box and old wiring has 4 wires in it
Ok - its a code violation to go from 4 prong to 3 prong. You need to replace it with the same. You cannot install a 3 prong recep on a 4 wire system.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the dryer is new and there are no codes out here in the boonies, the dryer is three prong cant afford to re-wire just for a new dryer outlet, can I get around that second neutral thanks,Chad
All you need to do is buy a new dryer cord. It will cost about $10.