Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Our well pump stopped working last night. The circuit ...

Customer Question

Our well pump stopped working last night. The circuit breaker did not "trip" (still set to on). So we turned it off for the night and turned it back on this morning. Still no water.. no sound from the pump. Do you think this could possibly be a bad circuit breaker or is it (groan) more likely that the pump is having problems.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
Do you have access to a meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: Do you mean the meter on the well? It's down very low (20psi).
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.
No - what I mean is a multimeter, or volt meter so you can check a few things in the electrical system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: no, but we can probably borrow one
Expert:  Inactive replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

You will need to borrow one then. Start with your electrical panel. You will need to take the panel cover off and test your breaker that feeds the well pump as such:
graphic
If your breaker reads ok - then you need to go outside to your well and test the pressure switch. You will see a line and load side wiring. Test the line side to be sure you have the same voltage coming in as you did with your breaker. Then very carefully - use a wooden stick to push down on the contacts of the pressure switch. If your pump kicks on - then the pressure switch is the problem. You will need to replace it in order to get water.

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Electric Doctor ----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put Question for Electric Doctor in the Subject line!!!