Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

GFCI outlet in garage is out, will not reset and red light ...

Customer Question

GFCI outlet in garage is out, will not reset and red light on. All garage outlets inoperative and one outlet inside house. Other GFCI (kitchen and bath) are fine. Can''t find what is tripping the garage GFCI outlet, what else could be preventing reset?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

There could be a few things happening here. But first thing you want to do is go around and unplug everything from your garage outlets and all your outdoor outlets. If you have something plugged in that is faulting – it will cause the trip condition your experiencing.

Next – (and this is the more labor intensive part) you will need to go around to all your outlets and start pulling them out one by one. Then be sure that none of your ground wires are touching the neutral terminal in any of your outlets. If you find one that is, just push the ground wire to the back of the box or wrap the outlet with electrical tape and this will clear the fault.

Lastly – and I think this really should be second in line, but after you unplug everything and it does not help, then pull your gfci out, remove the wiring from the Load side of the outlet and press the re-set button. If it wont reset even then, you will need to replace the gfci, if it does reset – you will need to start digging…. Sealed

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Electric Doctor ----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put Question for Electric Doctor in the Subject line!!!