Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

How to wire a 20 amp 240 volt outlet from a fuse box?

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer !!

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Ok – I have one even better for you. Instead of telling you how to do it, ill show you. Here is a diagram that I made up for you so you can see how its done.

graphic

Now if you have any specific questions about the install – running the wiring, techniques etc, please ask.

Additional Information:

Hope this helps you out, if you should need anything further - please don't hesitate to ask.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: ContactCustomer----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put “Question forCustomer/u>” in the Subject line!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: My problem is my outlet is a old 3 prong y looking this is for some farm equipment. And also it is coming from a screw in fuse box. When I wire it like I thought it should be it was only 110 put out.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok - can you get some sort of a number off of the outlet? If not then does it look like any of the following:

Pictue 1:
graphic
Picture 2:
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It looks like pitcher number 2 thanks for ur patients
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Picture #2 is actually a 50amp plug. But at anyrate the wiring terminates to it the same way. Each "hot" leg will terminate to the gold terminals, and your ground will go to the green terminal.

But if you have this running off of “screw in type” fuse panel – and your only getting 110 out of your plug that means you either have the plug wired only to 110, or you blew one of your fuses thus rendering it 110v.

What you need to do is verify that you have both wires from the gold terminals to separate lugs on the fuse panel. If you have them on the same bus bar, it will be 110v not 220. Now if your able to take a picture of the fuse panel (internal wiring) and upload – I can tell you exactly where to terminate the wiring.

Additional Information:

Have another electrical question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I really did not know how to do this and I even changed my photos but your browse insert thing did not work so I put it on my my space account. sorry for the wait thanks for your patients,

graphic

Just go to my site and view pics

Thanks

Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Its not allowing me to see the graphic.. Here is how you upload pics to the JA site: Just be sure you go into your profile under the tools section - click on edit profile and click to enable advanced posting options. Click yes and then follow these instructions.
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It still won't do it must be a problem from this end but thanks for your patients.

Have a Good day and I am Going to Accept ur $9 payment sorry can not afford more thanks

Bobbie Jo Jones

Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Not a problem, but if you still would like me to help you figure this out - ill be more than happy to... Just let me know.