Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I am installing a three prong plug into my Amana dryer ...

I am installing a three prong plug into my Amana dryer (ple7153wm) which currently has a four prong plug. The colors of the wires in there now are red, green, white and black. The three prong plug wires I bought at Home depot are all gray with the middle wire labeled "neutral." Where should I connect these wires to? Thanks...Jim
why are you changing the cord? Does your home only have a 3 prong outlet for the dryer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: Yes. I move in yesterday and went to plug in the dryer and realized the plug and outlet are different. The house was built in 94.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Ok, on your internal terminal block for the cord – you will install the middle (neutral) wire on the center post. The other two on the outer posts. Does not matter which wire goes where on those outer posts. But now you are going to use the bonding strap to bond the center post to the casing of the unit. See pic for example of this.

graphic

This will ground the casing of the unit in accordance with the 3 wire installation.

Hope this helps you out, if you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great night!

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: ContactCustomer----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put “Question forCustomer/u>” in the Subject line!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The wires from left to right are; green, red, white and black. The green one on the far left is the only wire attached to the "bonding strap" or what looks like a ground wire. Should I put the new wiring labeled "neutral" to this position? Does it matter where the other two wires go? Thanks..Jim

*****Click here to view my profile*****

First take the green wire and bring it over to the white wire. Then terminate the wire label (N) on that middle terminal. Then terminat the other two wires in any order to the black and red wires on the terminal block.

But its important that the green and white wires on the terminal block are terminated together and the wire labeled (N) be terminated to that.

Have another electrical question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: I don't understand what you're saying. To terminate? Do you mean hook together? Also, I'm not using the "old" wiring (plug) so I'm not moving the green wire to the white. My new plug has three cords. One is labeled neutral, the other two have nothing on them. Should I hook the "neutral" cord to the current place where the "green" cord is (which looks like it's hooked up to the ground?) Can I call you?

*****Click here to view my profile*****

I do apologize, but we are unable to give out our phone numbers. Let me start again. Before even being concerned with the 3 wire cord you currently have, we need to prep the unit for a 3 wire set up. In order to do this, the green wire in the unit, needs to be moved over to the place where the white wire is. So you will have the white and green wires physically connected to the middle terminal. Now with this wire moved over, you will have 3 places to connect your wiring from your new cord. The (N) will connect to the middle post where the green and white wires are now connected. This will be what provides the ground/neutral to the unit. Then the outer wires on the cord will then be connected to the red and black wires that are left over.

Have another electrical question?

Hopefully this pictoral diagram I made for you will help..
graphic