Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I am restoring an '84 truckster. It has a 22hp OMC engine. I

Customer Question

I am restoring an '84 truckster. It has a 22hp OMC engine. I had it running great, but it began to backfire and then die. Now It will fire when I turn the key, but dies as soon as I release the key from start. I had put in points and condenser, and now have installed new coils, new plug wires, and a new starter switch. The fuel pump is pumping fuel. I am stumped.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Do you have a resistor wired into the start circuit,that takes the battery voltage and drops it in half , to power the points and give better point life? Resistor can be bad. Or your new condenser may be bad, have you tried the old condenser?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Still won't start. The engine fires when the key is turned, but dies as soon as the key is released. I am getting spark, so think I must have something preventing fuel. The fuel pump works, so I'm guessing something is plugged in the carburetor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Will it restart immediately? There is no electric solenoid on the carburetor? I thought you had said it was loosing spark when you released the key? Do not seem to fit a plugged carburetor.