Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

2008 txt 36 volt, When all is turned off, key, lights, shift

Customer Question

2008 txt 36 volt, When all is turned off , key, lights, shift switch I still notice I have a spark / battery draw is this normal. I just lost another battery post disnigrated where the stud goes in ?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: nuetral , yes there is a manual wheel lock on the braske
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The cart had set for a season and yes I am doing the repairs it does run, I am now replacing its second battery because of battery failure
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The cart was bought used and has short battery life and low on torque even after a set of new trogan battery's
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Should be very low battery drain, with key off. The solenoid for the battery pack to controller, should not close and power the unit, until the foot switch closes it. Could the solenoid be stuck, and not open? That would be the only way that battery voltage would be active!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

See link below. Power from key has to go through the foot switch, controller and then to solenoid to close it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to check the solenoid, where is the solenoid located? Basically. My concern is why did I loose two battery post it looked like it was a dead short or simular to a GM side post battery when they come apart.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

typical battery terminal failure is from bad connection or loose connection, the added amperage melts the posts! Solenoid is at the end of the posiitve battery cable connection from battery pack. Usually on Ezgo, on the passenger side , under the seat area, tucked back with the controller. maybe under the plastic cover for the controller.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have looked at the schematic this will help a lot. I will check that out and see what I come up with I have a battery coming tomorrow I live in a very remote area everything takes time here. I know what a solenoid looks like I will find it and test the connection. My draw is quite a spark not a small trickle.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

So you have a short, or the solenoid is staying engaged!