Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I just bought an excellent condition 1989 EZ Cart. The lady

Customer Question

I just bought an excellent condition 1989 EZ Cart. The lady said it worked fine we put it in our storage unit and bought a generator we plugged it in and it is not charging. I took out each battery individually and fully charged it to 100% for them all back in connected the wires in the cart doesnot move. What is wrong and how do I fix it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

After you charged the batteries individually, does charger come on when attached to cart? This is the older resistor cart, with a mechanical speed control. The micro switches at the f/r control have to close to get the solenoid to close. If solenoid does not close. no power to drive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I hook up the charger it turns on and I let it charge came back later in the day and it was off so I'm guessing everything is fully charged but the car does not move or do anything the horn doesn't even work
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I f charger does not come on, the primary circuit, from the charger connection, through the batteries, and back to the charger plug, is not complete. See the link above for wiring

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I hook up the charger it turns on and I let it charge came back later in the day and it was off so I'm guessing everything is fully charged but the car does not move or do anything the horn doesn't even work...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have battery voltage (36 volts) to the keyswitch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I check that? What should I have my voltmeter set on?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Voltmeter on DC volts, (straight Line) black lead to battery negative, and red lead to probe and look for voltage/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red on probe? And should the key
Be on or off when checking?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Switch should have voltage on one side with switch off, and on both sides with key on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red lead to probe? you have to be specific I have never done this before
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You use the red lead to probe the back side of the ignition switch and any other point, you want to see if it has voltage.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok I checked a couple batteries and they are mainly showing 5.92 on the meter. I then tested the ignition switch with the key on and off and I'm not getting any reading. It will flash negative for a split second then nothing. Now what? Does that mean the switch is bad? Also here is my meter. Is it set correctly?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Meter Picture
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I need an answer not a diagram?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Key switch has to get voltage from the posiitve side of the solenoid. Do you have the resistor pack and mechanical foot sped control. See link above. Meter is set on DC volts, which is right, but for 36 volts, you need to move up to 200, instead of 20.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not sure what resistor pack or a mechanical for speed control are.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Pics
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Did you look at the picture I sent? Foot pedal moves a contact, that has to match the speed contacts to the resistor.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I got your picture but with no explanation I have no idea what a picture means
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Yes, you have the exact system I linked. Go back and check voltage at the key switch again, with meter on 200.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

What are the two cables hanging? one looks to be white, not sure if the other is same color.??

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK with the key on I'm getting a reading of -21.3 on both contacts. When I turn the key off one contact is getting -21.3 and the other contact is exactly 0.00
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There is a white wire and a smaller yellow wire that runs down through a hole at the bottom of the cart
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Another thicker white wire that runs to the bottom of the forward/reverse box
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
two wires over by the fuse panel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

OK, not sure what the wires are for, but the keyswitch should have 36 volts. Do you have 36 volts to he solenoid? The cart is not going to work on 21 volts.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm guessing this is the solenoid. There are four contacts coming out of it I'm not getting a reading on any of them except for one it's the same -21.3 Again that's negative 21.3. What would be causing it to be negative
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Picture
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

swap leads around and it should read posiitve. That is the solenoid and it looks to be i bad shape!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you recommend replacing it or trying something else
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What does the solenoid do what is its purpose
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

It has to close and send the battery voltage to the foot pedal contact, which powers the contact plate, which goes to resistors, to motor. The resistors are the speed control, which cuts voltage to the drive motor. The contact plate in it's last contact, goes direct to the drive motor, bypassing the resistors.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The only contact on the solenoid that is reading 21.3 V is the contact to the rear most part of the solenoid where the big red cable connects to the other contacts read zero
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Solenoid should get power direct from the positive side of the battery pack. Battery pack should be close to 36 volts. That is what this one terminal should read. There will be nothing to the second cable post, until the solenoid closes from voltage from the micro switches.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok so does the solenoid need to be replaced or something else?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

You have to have full 36 volts to the solenoid. Is that what battery pack reads? Solenoid looks rough but it may work, but 23 volts will not close the solenoid.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What do you mean battery pack?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

the six batteries are hooked in a series, to give the 36 volts, and this is your battery pack.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
do I check the battery pack and if so how do I do that or do I check each individual battery and how do I do that and what am I looking for? Could some or all of the batteries be bad?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

You want to find the to terminals on the battery pack that one is positive and the other negative, and check voltage across them to get battery pack voltage. With 6, 6 volt batteries, you should have close to 36 volts DC. you can then check each battery positive to negative, to see if all are in the 6 volt range. Any battery much lower than the rest , would indicate a bad battery. One bad battery or one bad cable connection will keep cart from running.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok 3 batteries read 5.93. One reads 6.02. Another one reads 4.03 and the last one 5.08. Do the 4.03 and 5.08 need to be replaced and the other 4 are good?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

I would charge the two low ones, and see if they com up. The one with only 4 volts, may have a shorted cell. If t does, it will not get any better and will affect all the others. I would say at least 4 are good.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where can I get the cheapest 6 V batteries from I went to Walmart and they do not have them
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 15 days ago.

Sams club usually keeps them or most big auto supply's