Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I just replaced all the batteries. Plugged the EZGO

I just replaced all the batteries. Plugged the EZGO Powerwise QB charger into the cart and it had blinking red light which is says it mean Battery Voltage Fault. These batteries were brand new and we triple checked and got confirmed they are wired correctly. It ran fine until the batteries finally died but can't charge them. The charger had the same blinking lights with the old batteries. They were old so we needed to change them anyway but it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Do yo have a voltmeter to test the voltage at the charger receptical on the cart? It should read battery pack voltage, if not, the wires from battery pack to the receptical are off or damaged.

Charger fault, shows it is not seeing the battery voltage it should.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will go and do that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
plug the charger into the wall and put the volt meter on the part that plugs into the golf cart?

NO, read the voltage at the plug on the cart.

It should read same voltage as the battery pack. 36/48 volts. If not, problem between the plug and the battery pack .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh OK ON my way to do that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It read 6 volts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The batteries are reading 6 volts also

OK< follow the two wires from the plug to the battery pack and see why the pack is not 36 volt!

Check wiring per diagram below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK so I printed the wiring diagram
Just so you know the batteries tested altogether was 6 volts and individually they were anywhere from 1 to 4 volts
The reason the pack is not 36 volts is because we haven't been able to charge them and after the cart ran too low to continue using it we parked it and then had to figure out the problem that existed from the old batteries still existing after new batteries installed.

Charger will not come on if it does not see close to 80 percent of full battery pack, or around 42 to 30 volts. It will fault. At this point you have to charger the batteries up with a 12 volt automotive charger, two batteries at a time. Then see if you have better voltage to the charger plug. Have you tried charger on another cart, to see if charger does work, or is defective?

Cart is 36 volts? And charger is 36 volts? 6, 6 volt batteries/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cart uses 8 volt batteries. 48 volts
We don't have another cart like this one.
I don't know how this will help since the charger showed the red light flashing when the batteries were new and they came with enough charge to run the cart fully for a week or so.

6, 8 volt batteries and you are down to 6 volts! With the QB charger, it may just be bad, but now you are going to have to get voltage up, before any charger will work!

Qb has no user serviceable parts. not not the older Lester chargers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My guys are off for the weekend. It will take a long time to charge each battery using the high setting on our 6 volt charger.
Is it bad for the batteries to remain in a low voltage?
We won't be able to get back to it until Wednesday.
The EZGO Powerwise QE chargers are very expensive but if it solves our problem than I will have to look into getting one.

No, just get them charged up as best you can.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found a used on on eBay for $199 so I will place my order if you are confirming it's the charger.

NO< I am not saying that. just know charger has to see close to 36 volts to start charge cycle. With voltages as low as they show, I'm surprised it will do anything!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me clarify what I'm understanding. You say the voltage has to be up to 80% for our charger to work. Help me understand why when we installed the brand new batteries that came with a factory charge enough to drive it around for a couple of weeks, the red light flashed saying voltage fault. The charger was connected right after install of new batteries. It doesn't make sense that the voltage was too low if we were able to use it fine for a couple weeks. Also if it had enough charge for that much use it had to be high enough to fall into the chargeable range for the charger. I understand that right now the pack is too low for the Powerwise charger to charge them but my point is the pack wasn't too low when we installed them but the charger still flashed the red lights. So I can figure out how to charge the batteries one at a time but it's only going to get us back to where we started, right?

The charger has to see the voltage from batteries. That is why you need to check the voltage at the charger receptical. If it was full pack voltage before, charger should have worked. That would mean charger is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just ordered a charger, I hope this fixes everything.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wanted to check something. You mentioned the pack has have a certain level of charge before any charger will work. I don't have a 8 volt charger, will it hurt anything if I use a 6 volt on high setting? And if yes how long do I charge it?

I twill take a while to get voltage up with a 6 volt charger, Or use a 12 volt charger and do not charge but about 20 minutes, before checking battery voltage. Charge one at a time and check, get above 6 volts, on each battery and charger should pickup, if it is going to work!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Curtis,So it has taken this long to finally get the new charger in. I plugged it in and no light comes on at all. It seems like some light should come on to show that it is on. Anyway I am need to clarify again. I need to get each 8v battery above 6 volts? I do that by charging each battery with a 12 volt charger for about 20 minutes at a time checking to see if it's above 6 volts? When all 6 are charged to 6v plug the charger in?

Do you have voltmeter to see what the reading is at the plug in for charger? Voltage has to be close to 35 volts before the charger will start.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for your patience. We followed your directions and we are back on the road. Thank you!

Thank You!