Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have an gas Yamaha golf cart. It quit running. I replaced

Customer Question

I have an gas Yamaha golf cart. It quit running. I replaced the battery and I drove it around the house 2 times. Ran good. Next day I rode it about 30 feet and it quit. Solenoid clicks when I step on acc. but it barely moves, and motor doesn,t rev up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage? With new battery, and you did not drive it far enough for it to completely charge, battery may be too dead to start the cart! Is battery voltage above 12.5 and not drop below 8 volts when trying to crank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Curtis B., I listened to your advice but don't have a voltmeter. So I put the new battery on a charger for 24 hours. The results were the same. It moves very slow and the motor doesn't seem to kick in when I step on the acc.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Can you go direct to the starter solenoid, where the positive battery cable attaches, and jump the cable terminals, to see if the starter will spin engine?

starter solenoid may be bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I jumped across the solenoid, all it did was spark.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If solenoid just sparked, the engine may be locked, or the starter/generator is bad. See if you can turn the engine using the drive pulley 360 degrees.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll change my answer. When I jumped across the solenoid, The cart moved the same under electric power, slow. It seems that the gas motor isn't kicking in. When I turned the drive belt the motor turned over.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If you flip the drive belt off, does the engine turn any faster? If not remove spark plug and see if it makes any difference.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry that I am so slow replying. due to other chores I havn't followed through. The motor turns freely. I removed the spark plug and there was no difference. The cart moves very slowly when I step an the pedal, but the motor doesn't seem to fire. I jacked up the rear wheels to test, no difference.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 days ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to check battery voltage? Check before crank, should be above 12.5 volts DC, and then check when you press the pedal. If voltage drops below volts, battery is bad, If it stays above 8 volts and engine barely turns, the starter/generator is bad!

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I think you are right about the starter generator. But Winter is setting in, I don't have a replacement yet, And I am putting the cart away for the Winter. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 day ago.

Thank you. Please rate to close the question!