Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Motor is not running, automatic transmission, i was told it

Motor is not running
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: automatic transmission
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: i was told it should the late nineties
JA: What year is your electric?
Customer: i dont really know
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked voltage and motor 39 volts
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What next
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought a new solenoid yesterday installed but nothing happened. Theres power but motor is not running
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you think should be done next
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, somebody helping me?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

This is golf cart? Ezgo or Club Car, ?? 36 volt system? Does the charger come on when attached to the cart?

I see question is still open?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ez go. 36 volts. Charger comes on. I tested the motor. Did a continuity test from s1 to a1 and there is continutiy, which i have learned there should not be. I also tested the speed control. Put tester negative to battery negative and tested m on the speed controller with the accelerator and got 0 voltage while pressing the accelerator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bought a new solenoid and replaced that already, but none of the resister or diodes was changes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did an ohm test on the resistor and came out with the right ohm reading 250 ohms

Year model? This has the mechanical speed control with contacts, and a three wire resistor pack? And you say motor checked bad?

Like the one above? If you jump the solenoid to close it, do you get any drive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Motor checked bad, but i am not sure... would the speed control have anything to do with it. I took the motor out and did a continutiy test with no wires attached and there was no continuity...

No, if motor has no continuity between the s1-s2 motor is bad , speed control is not going to change that!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The layout is not exactly like that. The charger port is not like that either. The battery is a1, s1, a2, s2
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No continuity between a1, s1.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Speed control

motor S or F is the field coils, the A terminals are the armature. You have to have continuity on the field coils.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No continuity between a1 and s1

Your cart has electronic control. Like the link below,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was continuity between a1, a2 and between s1 and s2. How would i test the motor alone? What do i do to a1 and s1 and a,
2 and s2 to simply put power to it to test? Shouldn't the solenoid click? Wouldn't there be volage on the speed control m even if the motor was not working?

Use the link above, to Mr carts, scroll down the opening page, till you get into the trouble shooting, to find the drive motor test, and check motor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks again for the info!

OK. Be sure you have battery voltage to the keyswitch from the back side of th charger connection, as this is where it all starts!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, i went through 2 or 3 lines and got to the solenoid testing. Jumped BL + with solenoid small post with red wire and solenoid clicked for the first time since it did not. Stepped on the pedal and it works... but what does that mean? What do i need to fix?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That means there is something wrong with the controller, right?

?? Pedal will now click the solenoid? And you still have no drive? If the solenoid is jumped, will cart move? Just because solenoid clicks, is it making the cable connection?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
pedal is not clicking the solenoid. the jump is clicking the solenoid. after the jump clicks, then the cart can move forward or back without any problem

SO we need to know if the keyswitch has battery voltage, and if it is going to the switch wire on the solenoid. If the battery voltage is going to the solenoid, and it does not click, the solenoid is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, trying to figure out which wires are where

OK>

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that the reed switch. I am checking one end of the key at the direction selector and one on the reed witch, i get voltage when the pedal is pushed

This is the ITS switch and micro switch, that close the solenoid, Do you have voltage to the micro switch terminals when pedal is pressed? If you do, keyswitch has voltage. If no voltage, keyswitch is what has to power this micro switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is voltage.

OK. is the voltage going to the solenoids small terminal when pedal is pressed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like this? No voltage at pedal press

put black lead on the battery negative post and use the red to probe at solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No voltage

OK, trace from the solenoid back to the micro switch, using wire color, and see where voltage is lost. Bad wire or connection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it the speed controller at all or was that bypassed already?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tested all wires i see and they all have connectivity

You said cart runs if you bypass the solenoid. The solenoid has to close ,to power the controller. Problem is between the micro switch and the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not exactly that the cart runs if the solenoid is bypassed. It is that if the solenoid get gets jumped... maybe the way i described it was confusing... that if i put a jumper from battery positive to the solenoid and then the solenoid activates...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess, essentially, i bypassed the speed controller, because i bypassed the wires going into the speed controller and out to the solenoid

Solenoid has to close to energize the controller. The positive battery pack side goes direct tot he solenoid. Then when solenoid closes, it completes the circuit. We have to get solenoid to close.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh

Take a jumper wire from the micro switch, to the solenoids small terminal , to see if it closes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, i understand now what i am looking for a little better... let me do that test again

OK>

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OMG, it was the key! We never had a key to this cart so it was not a thought, but after i understand the flow of electricity... thanks for all the help! Someone visiting used the cart!!! Thanks so much for the help!!!

Good Job! Success!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, i was quite skeptical at first, now i will recommend just ask to anyone.!

JUST ANSWER !!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, JUST ANSWER!!!!!

Thanks!